Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Virus

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Anti Virus

No indeed.  And viruses frequently operate a "buddy" system where there are two (or more) processes running and if one of them is terminated then the other resurrects it. 
I wasn't really trying to get at 7up, although the "judge and jury" thing was too much of a temptation to pass by.  My basic point is that I cannot think of a virus scanner that does not exaggerate when reporting the number and/or severity of the "threats" it finds. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well sure and some years back it was common practice for the trial version of a product to tell you it had detected various problems that only the paid version could fix, indeed Norton was found to be not just pasting junk files onto peoples pc's but actually installing the real thing ( which caused a lot of uproar when it was publicised) and no doubt most of the companies are still doing the same thing during the initial"scan"
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
billnotben
Community Veteran

"installing"
Virus checkers can't save you from an installation gone pear shaped for any number of reasons.
A regular image back up can save you from all sorts of problems.
On the very rare occasion that a virus checker has coughed I would rather load an image than depend on a virus checker telling me it thinks it has sorted the problem but may have also deleted some needed files in the process.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: ReedRichards
7up, I find you guilty of gross credulity and sentence you to six months of community service taking calls from people who say they are from Microsoft and there is something wrong with your computer..

Please do... I'm bored and could do with a laugh  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: billnotben
A regular image back up can save you from all sorts of problems.

I agree.  Viruses often mess with your settings and it's difficult for security spftware to know if the end result was intentional or not and so to properly undo the changes.  Using a system image, or failing that good-old System Restore if the virus has not scuppered it, is a much better way of dealing with a virus than any security software can offer.
I'll say a bit more.  Because we call them "viruses" we tend to think by analogy that the best remedy is to seek a "cure" from your security software.  Actually the best remedy, by analogy, is to get in your time machine, go back to a time before you caught the virus then take a different route so it never happened in the first place.   
7up
Community Veteran

Thats why i love virtual machines... suspend, copy and image done Smiley
As for taking images of the live main OS... yeah great in principle but a pain in reality.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

unless you do it automatically which I do except for my better half's XP computer where I do it once a month manually with the data backed up every night automatically
7up
Community Veteran

That is a possibility but for my needs its probably overkill. That and I'd find the time of restoring an image to the partition rather frustrating... I'm not good and sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting for a slow progress bar to move a pixel or two to the right... I get bored easily.
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
That and I'd find the time of restoring an image to the partition rather frustrating

I guess it depends on how your pc is set up.
Restoring the C drive image on mine takes less than three minutes.
For me fiddling with any sort of virus checker fix takes longer and has too many uncertainties.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Of course with any decent security package you probably won't need to restore it