Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Virus needed

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Anti Virus needed

Can anybody recommend a good anti-virus , I used AVG for years but I feel it is just bloat-ware these days sadly Sad
Yes for Windows, I'm in the correct section  Cheesy
34 REPLIES 34
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Anti Virus needed

I recommend Kaspersky (free if you bank with Barclays I believe) but I pay for it
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Kaspersky?  Not too expensive if you shop around and not bloated.
Or Microsoft Security Essentials if you want a free one (and are beyond XP).  You probably need to back that up with Malwarebytes Antimalware run manually every so often, to get rid of those 'Potentially Unwanted Programs'.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Avira or Avast are free   ...updates daily,....
Used to have AVG but like you, think it is bloated now... ( last used it about 6 years ago !)...
Mav
Fixes: 515

I've been using MSE in conjunction with SpyBot S & D v1.62 (do not go for v2 or above), Malwarebytes and CCleaner.
Never had any issues with these nor any virii, etc.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I get told off for saying MSE !! is ok
but you cant go wrong with it in conjunction with MBAM  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
gadfly
Grafter

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is excellent and not expensive. I paid £17.50 for annual protection that covers three computers. It scans for every type of malware, rootkits included (go through the settings). I use the default settings plus rootkit scans. I also changed from AVG that uses far too much of system resources such as memory and processor cycles. Malwarebytes has a small system footprint.
picbits
Rising Star

I use MSE - no problems here but I do tend to be quite careful with what I download and open anyway Smiley
Mav
Fixes: 515

I agree - vigilance is important.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have widows 8.1 which has windows defender built in, but I installed AVG out of habit I suppose, but I have found out that with the AVG running, defender is turned off.  So I think I should uninstall AVG and just go with the windows defender.  Would others agree?  I am also very vigilant while online.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Avast! for me, got it on all the windows computers in the house, used to be an AVG fan due to it's simplicity and lightweight footprint back in it's youth, but as mentioned it got too bloated and slowed down the computer too much for simple tasks like browsing the web and looking at files on my computers... Smiley
Also run MBAM on occasion too, usually if I'm not paying attention and get routed to a dodgy site, though with the AdBlockPlus addon installed under PaleMoon (firefox derivative) with it's popup blocker, that also helps to keep unwanted downloads down... Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I use the free version of AVG and not had any problems with it.
southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The problem I've found with AVG now is that when it does a routine scan, once a week, I can't do anything else online, it's too slow, so I'm having to wait an hour until the scan is complete.  Reading about windows defender, it sounds like all I need, though I'm no expert.
sjptd
Grafter

I used Avast! until recently.  I had issues a few weeks ago with poor interactions between Avast! and javascript performance so I replaced it with Defender (8.1's name for Security Essentials ***), plus occasional scans with Malwarebytes free which is somewhat orthogonal.
There have been huge issues with Avast! in the last few days because of bad interaction with update KB3000850 (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134147.0.html and many other places on the web).
*** I hate the way Microsoft keep changing names, often renaming and old feature with the name of another different old feature; so a feature has multiple names, and a name can refer to multiple features.  (as Security Essentials/Defender and Outlook Express/Windows Mail//hotmail/@Outlook.com email addresses)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Avast for me (but I'm on W7).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.