Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti Virus for Windows 98

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Anti Virus for Windows 98

I have an old laptop running Windows 98, used mainly as a backup and as a server for one printer which has a parallel interface whereas all my other pcs have USB.  It has AVG anti-virus which used to work ok even after they stopped supporting Windows 98.  But now they have gone a stage further and no updates can be downloaded and you get a message saying that the versions needs to be updated which it cannot be because the OS is too old !
Some protection is better than none at all, but I wondered whether there were any free anti-virus programmes which still support Windows 98 out there ?  Does anyone know of any by any chance ?
I expect the time is coming to abandon the machine altogether because it is eleven years old but still soldiers on.  If I could find an anti-virus which still works on Windows 98, I would install it.  Any ideas ?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Anti Virus for Windows 98

One is Clam AV  http://www.clamwin.com/
pengyou
Grafter

I don't think ClamWin has a resident scanner built-in yet, i.e. it cannot check files automatically as they are accessed (opened/executed).
I only know of two antivirus programs which support Windows 98 and offer resident scanning: Avast and Rising Antivirus (I found them mentioned in an old AVG Free Edition forum message at http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?8,170008,backpage=5,sv=).
Avast have said they will only support Windows 98 until the end of the year. I don't know how long Rising Antivirus intend to support Windows 98
Denzil
Grafter

No, ClamWin doesn't do real time scanning, but is otherwise good.
A slightly more radical solution - rather than ditch a working laptop, install a lightweight Linux distribution such as <a href="http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/">DSL</a>. No need for AV then!
Not applicable

Don't know of any other AVs (free) other than those mentioned. Maybe some of the purchased internet security suites might do though. '98 is not patched now and therefore not a safe OS to use on the Internet so I would go with Denzil and install one of the Linus Distros on it. Needs a bit of patience to get used to it but worth the hassle IMO.
avatastic
Grafter

A small linux/unix OS is one option .. but you could always retire the machine and think different.
Wait, wasn't that Apple's slogan at one point?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How is it possible to load a virus onto a print server - when it doesn't even need internet access?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
How is it possible to load a virus onto a print server - when it doesn't even need internet access?

Who said it did not need internet access ?  I said " used mainly as a backup and as a server for one printer"; "mainly" is not the same thing as "exclusively".  In other words, I do use it for things other than as a print server, but just not all the time.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This is lateral thinking but with a little shopping around you can buy a USB to parallel adaptor for under a tenner so you could run your printer from another computer.  And it's probably not a good idea to trust your oldest machine as backup.