cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another strange FF issue...

Mav
Fixes: 514

Another strange FF issue...

The current tab will not close when clicking on its Close icon. But navigating away from the tab to another then it can be closed - and, no, the tab is not protected.
Right-clicking on the current tab brings up a menu offering 'Menu bar', 'Navigation toolbar', 'Bookmarks toolbar', 'Add-on bar' and 'Customize' whereas the same action on a different tab brings up the menu offering such this as 'New Tab', 'Duplicate tab', etc.
I note that, even though I changed the default RAM cache to 64MB and set Maximum Disk Cache to 655360, FF is currently using almost 1.3GB of memory!
Quitting FF and restarting solves the issue but it will come back again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Another strange FF issue...

By default, when there's only one tab, it doesn't have a close button. It's been mildly annoying me like that for ages. You must be using some add-on.
As for using memory, so what. As a program allocates and frees memory, the area of memory used by the program will eventually become increasingly fragmented, and its total size will tend to grow. Is there something else you'd prefer your RAM to be used for?
Mav

Quote from: ejs
By default, when there's only one tab, it doesn't have a close button.

I never seem to have only one tab open. My above description was for several tabs being open.
Is there something else you'd prefer your RAM to be used for?

With 16GB RAM and, even when FF is chewing lots of it, I still can have 10GB available so it's not the amount of memory used being the problem. I have noticed that the more memory FF grabs it seems to affect other parts of my system slowing some things like videos taking longer to start playing in VLC player. As soon as I 'End Process Tree' for FF then everything gets back to normal fast starting.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why would you do "End Process Tree" rather than just File -> Quit?
I haven't seen any "Duplicate Tab" option so I'm still suspecting some tab Add-On. The menu with "Menu bar", "Navigation Toolbar", "Bookmarks Toolbar" (ticked or un-ticked) is what I get if I right-click empty space on the main menu.
Mav

That's simple; often just a simple quit often means that each of the windows that was previously opened with their respective tabs don't always get restored but the do if I select End Process Tree. Actually, that was an issue many versions ago and may have been rctified by now but I stick to what I know works for me.
I haven't seen any "Duplicate Tab" option so I'm still suspecting some tab Add-On.

Perhaps it is part of Tab Mix Plus.
The menu with "Menu bar", "Navigation Toolbar", "Bookmarks Toolbar" (ticked or un-ticked) is what I get if I right-click empty space on the main menu.

Yes, that is normal, just strange I also get that same menu on a Tab that refuses to close when clicking its close icon and all other tabs still show the expected menu ('New Tab', etc) when right-clicking.

kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: Mav

That's simple; often just a simple quit often means that each of the windows that was previously opened with their respective tabs don't always get restored but the do if I select End Process Tree. Actually, that was an issue many versions ago and may have been rctified by now but I stick to what I know works for me.

So rather than using the 'When Firefox start' option to 'Show my windows an tabs from last time', you're using the 'crash recovery' feature to get things back the way they were.  Shocked
This is possibly one of the primary causes of the problems you have,  as while the pages might be restored,  there's no guarantee that firefox wasn't in the middle of writing something important to disk when you killed it!
hadden
Grafter

What you describe is like the current tab is visible but behaving like an invisible tab.
Do you have a Theme enabled?
Mav

Quote from: kmilburn
So rather than using the 'When Firefox start' option to 'Show my windows an tabs from last time', you're using the 'crash recovery' feature to get things back the way they were.  Shocked

I do have that option set and it usually works when I quit FF normally before reboot or any other time as it happens. It's just that I found that once FF has chewed a high amount of memory that option doesn't always work as well as it should.
@JohnJ No, no theme selected.

lowlatency
Grafter

uninstall/reinstall......