cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another one of those moments when...

IanSn
Rising Star

Another one of those moments when...

Windows update. Included Skype. Ok, go ahead.
So after a few seconds it sort of hangs... No sign of activity on the router, no drive activity. Hmmm.
Wait. Wait. Wait.
Oh, no, an update has glitched out...
So what made me move the update window out of the way? Not sure, but there, underneath, hidden from view is another small window requiring me to accept t+c for the Skype installation.
Oh, Microsoft, you're so good...
I should know by now. How many times have I been caught out by that one?   Roll_eyes
-- should this go in chit-chat? --
15 REPLIES 15
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Another one of those moments when...

That appeared for me yesterday, hide update was my response.
I don't want or need Skype so im not letting it install.
Rather have MSN messenger back.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Windows 7 shows an "Important" update is available - look to see what it is:
Recommended Update
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information.

So I go to the knowledge base:
This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

For Christ's sake Micro$oft - this isn't an "Important" update if I've no intention of upgrading to Windows 8 or 10! Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Due to this thread.... I decided to check my updates... (  click on the little red shield with a white x in it.)... hang about... left click don`t do anything...gotta right click it... usually left click shows "something".. !
anyway... go to Security centre... and check for updates... 2 "Optional" updates are available...... 1 is the skype one... and the other is MS live essentials....  so.. neither of them will be going on to my HDD..
Amazing... how "essential" MS Live Essentials are,..... cos I ain`t got it.. so how "essential" is it  ? ? ? ? ? ?  Huh
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

How long has MS been supporting Skype ??  what i thought untick install
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HPsauce
Pro

MS have owned Skype for some time.
As I have Skype and components of MS Live already installed I haven't seen those updates.  Wink
IanSn
Rising Star

Well, I did install Skype (near 50% of the time people need/prefer me to be on Skype if I'm applying for contract work with them, esp if they are in the USA).
So I did want it.
But the point was - the blasted window to accept the t+c was hidden behind the update window and I didn't know it was there!
I thought, for about 20 mins, the update had hung.
And that aint the first time that's happened with one thing or another...
Jeez, even I know how to bring a window to the front.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: IanSn
But the point was - the blasted window to accept the t+c was hidden behind the update window and I didn't know it was there!
I've seen that a fair few times, it's really dumb.
The only way you realise is that there's an icon in the taskbar that looks odd, sometimes its glowing/pulsing slightly and when you click it the hidden "go/no-go" window appears. VERY dumb design.  Cry
IanSn
Rising Star

Ah, the glowing/pulsing slightly thing!
Obviously doesn't glow or pulse enough - I didn't see it!
nanotm
Pro

yeah often times the secondary popup window gets obscured by the primary because the stupid update window updates its information and jumps back to the front ......
Skype updates aren't the only ones that cause this problem either, get the same thing happen with any updated that needs you to agree to something .....
its a coding  bug but I have found shrinking the update window and dragging it out of the default screen space means I can see any such "hidden" popups of course when I forget then it might be a few hours between me clicking update and me looking back to see why I don't have the sodding reboot now nag popup.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

i bet windows 10 is already intergrated with it
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Surprised no-one seems to have mentioned this 'important' Windows update on 25th Feb ('out of band' - i.e. not in the usual monthly slot)
change Lithuanian litas (Lt) to the euro (€) in Windows.

I can understand the potentially huge importance of this if you happen to be Lithuanian, but is it really so urgent that it had to be released as a Hotfix rather than as part of the scheduled updates?  Roll_eyes
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PowerLee
Rather have MSN messenger back.

I replaced MSN messenger with Yahoo messenger, but used Pidgin to sign in, and it turned out my MSN address would sign in under Pidgin (but using Windows Live Messenger it refused to saying I needed to upgrade to skype), but since they shut down their final MSN servers it's been dead as a dodo, only had two contacts on MSN anyway, one of which is on Yahoo, the other stopped signing in a long time ago!!!
Mav
Fixes: 515

I have never liked MSN Messenger always preferring Yahoo. When I did have a few MSN contacts I remember using a program where I could access them from one interface. Can't remember it's name, though.
I did use ICQ for a while but didn't like that either.
I think Yahoo is better when it's text only but find video is much better and smoother using Skype.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: IanSn
I've seen that a fair few times, it's really dumb.
The only way you realise is that there's an icon in the taskbar that looks odd, sometimes its glowing/pulsing slightly and when you click it the hidden "go/no-go" window appears. VERY dumb design.  Cry

All very well unless you have the 'automatically hide task bar' option selected....I've been caught too!! Angry