Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Windows Server 2003/Networking question

cphillips
Dabbler

Another Windows Server 2003/Networking question

Hi
I am currently trying to setup a server for use at home.  It is Windows 2003 Server.
The server has a built in LAN connection but I have also installed a wireless USB device so it can talk to my router and access the internet.
The reason I want to make use of the wired LAN connection is for large file copies.  Eventually this server will be sited in the loft and act as a web/mail/storage server.
I have assigned the following IP's to the devices:

• Router : 192.168.1.254 (DHCP enabled on this)

• Server : 192.168.1.250 for the wired LAN and 192.168.1.50 for the wireless connection

• Main workstation : 192.168.1.200 for the wireless connection and 192.168.199 for the wired connection

All have the same subnet of 255.255.255.0. 
I would like to make use of DNS and DHCP from the 2003 Server if possible so if friends come round, they just connect and get issued an IP address.
My problem is that when trying to access the internet from the main workstation it doesn't seem to be able to connect.
What do I need to put in as the default gateway on the server and workstations?  I'm led to understand that all DNS requests should be passed to the Windows 2003 Server and if that can't resolve them it then passes them to the router. 
This doesn't seem to be happening on my setup so I think I've messed something up.  Crazy
Anyone able to draw me a nice diagram or tell me how to set this up easily?  Can provide any info required and am happy to wipe the server as no data on it as yet!
Thanks in advance
Colin
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Another Windows Server 2003/Networking question

The two network connections have to have different sub-nets otherwise you cannot route between them.
So set the wireless one to a static IP of 192.168.1.250 netmask 255.255.255.0 (same sub-net as the router) and the wired one to 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
All your internal systems will then be assigned IPs in the 10.0.0.X range if you set DHCP up correctly on the server for that address range.
All your local networked devices should use 10.0.0.2 as their DNS (which you can set-up within the DHCP config).
Finally disable DHCP on the router as it will confuse things on the server and rely on the server for DHCP.
cphillips
Dabbler

Hi Peter
Many thanks for your reply.
I will give what you said a try when I get home tonight and report back.  Grin
Colin
samuria
Grafter

Is the server setup as a Domain controller?
You are over complicating things. All that is needed is to have the router as the dhcp server and then all pc's can get to the internet any friend that come round can connect subject to password for wireless. You then turn dhcp off on the server as you cant have 2 as you will never know which one you will get.
You are getting confused I think with DNS the server will have dynamic dns if its a DC and this is for everything local. The workstaion just use the normal +nets dns for the internet. What you were suggesting is they would contact the server which would contact the router which would contact +net and then +net would pass the result back to the router who would pass ir back to the server who would pass it back to the workstation. Can you see the problem?
Set to +net its one call.
You can have a dns server but if you want to take dns from the internet you could get millions of records and you can be spoofed so you dont want the server getting any details from the net.
cphillips
Dabbler

Quote from: samuria
Is the server setup as a Domain controller?
You are over complicating things. All that is needed is to have the router as the dhcp server and then all pc's can get to the internet any friend that come round can connect subject to password for wireless. You then turn dhcp off on the server as you cant have 2 as you will never know which one you will get.

Hi
Yes the server is setup as a DC.
To summarise - I basically would like to use just wireless for simple stuff such as browsing the web/email etc, but would also like the option of using the wired connection when copying large amounts of data as it takes an age over wireless.
Regards
Colin