cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying - Anti-phishing Software update message...

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Annoying - Anti-phishing Software update message...

I'm using Windows 7 Home on a Dell computer with Internet Explorer 10, recently a message pops up on the desktop with the close button ghosted and asking me to update Anti phishing software but it doesn't look official.
I've searched it online and it appears there is a .exe programme called 'Internet Helper Antiphishing' on my computer. Some sites say it's from Panda Security and part of the system software and safe others say it's used to installed a virus.
Does anyone know about it?
Message that appears on the desktop....
Internet Helper Anti-phishing Software Update
An update is avaialable for Internet Helper Anti-phishing Software.
Make sure you are still protected against phishing sites like fake PayPal sites.
This update includes:
- Important Security Fixes
- Much improved performance
UPDATE NOW ?

7 REPLIES 7
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Annoying - Anti-phishing Software update message...

if your using panda security you can check on their website
if not then its a fake and you need to get rid, boot into safe mode with networking (push f8 during pc start) go to an online scanner like trend nets house call and run that (will take several hours if you have big hdd's) if its malware that should find and remove it for you or at least give you details on how to remove it, worst case scenario will be format the had and reinstall /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Hello,
I don't have a Panda plan but one never knows what software may attached to it and needs updating, eg javascript.
I emailed Panda technical support asking if they can confirm if it's official or not and attached a screen grab. I got an auto no-reply email raising a ticket and if I didn't find an answer on their website to call a toll free number for support. On phoning the toll free number the guy could not understand how I got the number and couldn't understand I'd sent email to their technical support.
I explain it to him and just asked if he could confirm if the message was official, he went away for about a minute and came back and offered to connect to my computer and check my computer, which I turned down.
He didn't seem interested in the case id number or the screen grab and said phone Panda Security...there was no concern that someone maybe using the Panda name to possibly dupe people installing a virus.
Have I been party to some elaborate hoax this is the website I used to contact Panda support http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/support/ it looks a official. I understand the software may be malicious and nothing to do with Panda but as they provide security I thought they might like to know someone maybe blackening their name. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

check what toolbars you have installed on your pc, the antiphishing software sounds like a BHO and it might be harmless but unless you explicitly installed it then chances are its not
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
sjptd
Grafter

Install and run Malwarebytes Antimalware.  That is very good at finding and fixing dodgy toolbars and search settings that antivirus packages miss.
The standard (free) version does not run the whole time, just as a scan when you ask it, and does not interfere with standard antivirus.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

+1 for Malwarebytes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the various advice.
I ran a scan on my computer and it found, Trojan Downloader and Trojan Dropper and deleted them.
The Internet Helper Anti-Phishing programme didn't seem to be doing anything other than plonking a message on the Desktop so I uninstalled it and everything appears to be ok. What is confusing was the comments about Internet Helper I'm still unclear if it is regarded as evil or just pesky adware programme.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: christmas
I'm still unclear if it is regarded as evil or just pesky adware programme.

The adware program was installed on your computer without your consent (I presume) and doubtless it wanted you to pay for an "update".  If what you paid for was what you were promised (and did not include other unwanted software) and it really worked then those are the least evil circumstances possible.  That's not very likely.