Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android network monitoring app

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Android network monitoring app

For a while now I have been trying to solve the mystery of WhatsApp on my phone not being able to upload backups to Google account. I have it set to "daily" and some days it works and some it doesn't, being stuck on "Waiting for internet connection". What is strange is that I have no network issues (as far as I'm aware).

That leaves 2 possibilities - WhatsApp problem or device problem. The first one has been a massive waste of time, contacting their support, I've never experienced such unprofessional support, literally going around in circles.

So, the only other idea I've got is to monitor the network somehow on my phone and see what's going on around the time WhatsApp is trying to upload backup - which is usually late at night or early in the morning.

Can anyone recommend some tool which is suitable for this? I don't want anything too complicated, just something to log whether there are any disconnections etc. Thanks.

p.

6 REPLIES 6
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Android network monitoring app

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Everything Else to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pkw I don't use WhatsApp nor do I have an Android phone, but from the message you are getting is this of any use to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeBx0abiXg

pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Anonymous. I've tried clearing the cache/data and reinstalling WhatsApp but it didn't help.

The strange thing is it will work ok for a few days, then go back to error. It seems random. 

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

On some phones the power settings mean that the network connectivity is turned off after x hours. I have a hunch this may be your problem.

Whatsapp backs up daily for me with no hassle at all. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pkw
Aspiring Pro

It's not that, I have no power settings restricting the network. I use another app for backing up sms and it uploads daily to Drive with no issues. WhatsApp backup will work for a few days and then stop again.

I noticed something else on my phone - very occasionally, I will open some app and it will be showing some notification "no internet connection". But the app and network will work fine (both wifi and mobile data). I think it even happened in YouTube once. So I'm wondering whether there is some issue with the phone which causes some connectivity check in some apps to fail.

System: Android 9 Pie with latest updates on Motorola G6 Play.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Must be a device problem then - maybe a dodgy driver. I suspect if you restart it'll be fine for a bit.

My nokia 3.2 has a similar fault with the proximity sensor. It's fine to start with and after a couple of days it no longer works - making my automatic speakerphone useless as it relies on the proximity sensor. I would create a task to automatically restart it but yup.. you've got it, in android 9 google has restricted the ability for an app to restart the device (along with recording phone calls and various other once brilliant features).

I'm not impressed with android 9 to be honest. Sure it has some sweet features like sploit screen but although i used that a lot in the first few days i had the phone i rarely use it now and have mentally stashed it in gimmick territory. Android 5.1 was far superior for reliability and low level features available to geeks like me.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!