Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android - finding the USB on the desktop

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Android - finding the USB on the desktop

On my new Android tablet.... when I plug in the USB memory stick... a very tiny notification appears in the top left corner,.... drag down a menu screen from there, and it says the USB is mounted.... Fine !...
I have ES file manager app installed, and need to scroll down a menu to locate the usb device... is there any way I can put an ICON directly linked to the USB stick ? or is the ES File manager route the only way to access the content of the USB memory stick...?
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Android - finding the USB on the desktop

What do you want off it?
Mostly Android is app driven not event driven. So a music player will look in the folders you have setup, same with a pic viewer.
Can't say I have ever made a shortcut on the desktop for something like that, apps yes, I like mine bare.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... basically, just to "know" it was there... like a "pop up" folder.... saying USB Stick.. or something !... I have installed an app called Quicpic... and clicking on that brings up the pics/movies on the stick... so I will have to get used to that way...
I must comment, that , although I have asked a few questions about Android on here.. I am not as frustrated using it, as with Linux .... It does seem to be much simpler to use, and the apps "just work" !
HairyMcbiker
All Star

ONLY because you can't install any M$ software on it  Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

An important reason why Android is less frustrating than Linux is that the instalation of Android is done by the device manufacturer so all hardware drivers are already present and working when you buy it.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Hairy
ONLY because you can't install any M$ software on it  Cheesy
Wrong
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/support/set-up-and-use-office-365-on-your-phone-or-tablet-HA102818...
You can if you really want to
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I meant "normal" M$ software not designed for Android. Stuff like he likes to run on his PC.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

depends on the definition of normal
http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-confirms-making-office-android-tablets/
“Let me tell you conclusively: Yes, we are also building Android native applications for tablets for Word, Excel and PowerPoint,” said John Case, a Microsoft Office corporate vice president for marketing, in a follow-up interview with GeekWire this afternoon. “We haven’t picked a date that we can stand behind yet, but they’re coming. We are committed to doing it.”

Not yet but it is coming and then you can enjoy the benefits of MS on your tablets  Grin Grin or  Sad Sad
I wasn't sure which smiley was appropriate so put in two options
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Normal in the what you have installed and installing the SAME .exe on something else, not a rebuild version.
This is what he wants Linux to do, be a better M$, not going to happen  Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

As this is an Android thread... I do not wish to become involved in a war between Microsoft compatible programs and Linux compatible programs, or any version of said argument  Lips_are_sealed
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: shutter
I must comment, that , although I have asked a few questions about Android on here.. I am not as frustrated using it, as with Linux .... It does seem to be much simpler to use, and the apps "just work" !

Roll_eyes
All my LINUX apps work fine BTW  Grin Grin Cheesy