cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android email client

Mav
Fixes: 514

Android email client

Finally got a tablet that I am happy with and seems to work well...
I had decided on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" as it seemed to meet all my needs but nowhere had it in stock as it is discontinued. I liked the 4 7" but it didn't support MHL. So, after much deliberation I got the Acer A1-F840FHD (Android 4.4.2). Even got vouchers worth £20 from Argos which will be handy towards SWMBO birthday present next month.
So far so good but have a small problem:
The built-in email client doesn't allow links to be clickable which seems a tad daft (have checked all settings I can find) so wondering if there are any recommendations - don't want to use g-mail?
Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES 21
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Android email client

You may find that 'tap and hold' on the link gives a copy option and a similar 'tap and hold' in the address bar of the browser should give a paste option, not quite the same as a clickable link but it may suffice.  You could also try webmail in your browser, the links may then be clickable.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

have a look at mailbox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mailboxapp)  or bluemail (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue&hl=en)
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

@w23 Links in Webmail are clickable but I prefer to use an email client if I can.
Tapping and holding gives a highlighted section of the link with the need to drag the two blue tabs around which is quite fiddley  Sad
@dvorak will check those links out.
Thanks Smiley

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Even got vouchers worth £20 from Argos which will be handy towards SHMBO birthday present next month.
The built-in email client doesn't allow links to be clickable which seems a tad daft (have checked all settings I can find) so wondering if there are any recommendations - don't want to use g-mail?
Thanks

Thats a great way to save a few pennies for beer Smiley
There may be an option to allow the links to be clickable, as I feel it may be a security feature
Mav

Have checked the security settings to no avail.
A Google search seems to indicate this is quite a widespread issue within Kitkat.

Mav

@dvorak Had a look at the two email apps...
The first is for gmail and iCloud and the second doesn't support pop3 yet.
There's a plethora of apps in Play Store that's why I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations based on use?

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use K9Mail and find it very reliable - Links work fine Smiley
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Another for your consideration is MyMail. Supports POP3 and IMAP, although not sure why you want to use POP3 but no matter.  Tongue
That's RPM to you!!
Mav

Thanks for those, I'll look shortly.
I am used to pop3 with Outlook for the last 15 or more years and see no need to change as it suffices for my needs Smiley

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: pwatson
I use K9Mail and find it very reliable - Links work fine Smiley

+1
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

Just checked out the reviews and it does well so have downloaded it it.
Will set it up either later or the 'morrow Smiley
Thanks.

WTF
Grafter

Have you tried the vanilla android email client (i.e. Google's, not Acer's)?  Links are definitely clickable in it.
I have a Nexus and my hotmail and gmail work fine with it.  Setting up was a breeze, too: it supports many common email providers so no faffing around finding servers, ports and the like.
Mav

You obviously don't mean GMail. I searched PlayStore and couldn't see anything that appeared to match your description. Do you have a name or link for me.
While K9 does the job it's got some restrictions and isn't as easy to use as I'd like.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Its just called email and its the default app which is pre installed on Android. Don't think its actually available on Play and wondering if Samsung have replaced it with their own bloat.