Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Tablets

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Android Tablets

My trusty old Asus 7 inch tablet is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm looking at replacing it with something newer. Don't want to spend huge amounts but at the same time don't want to end up buying a lemon.

So has anyone got any good recommendations?

2 REPLIES 2
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Android Tablets

I have an Acer A1-840FHD purchased in 2014 that serves me well. Admittedly is doesn't get a great deal of use, mainly for reading coursework and playing games but the 1920x1080 screen is excellent and especially if watching hi-def You Tube videos in bed or when waiting for SWMBO shopping.

It also has a mini HDMI port so great for connecting to the large plasma.

There is no SIM Card slot in mine but that isn't an issue as use wireless at home and tether to my phone when out if I need such access.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

quickbrew
Rising Star

Re: Android Tablets

@SteveA,

Always difficult giving advice about tablets as there are so many post-regrets to discover after making your choice.

I don't profess to be an expert but assuming you are talking Android then I can share some experiences which may help.

Over the years I have owned at least a dozen android tablets, 7", 8", & 10" each purchase has been based on a budget aiming for the highest spec for the lowest price and every time I have become disillusioned quite quickly always wishing I had waited, increased my budget and gone for the latest bleeding edge model instead of trying to scrimp.

I know it sounds like a cliche but you need to ask yourself what you want a tablet for.

In my case I am almost 70 years old and can no longer properly distinguish small fonts on small screens so 18 months ago using my cheap cost, highish spec formulae,
I bought a 10" - 4x3 ratio full HD Pipo M6 Max it cost me £120.00 and I rooted it quite soon. It has great battery life (10,000 mAh) and a high quality display but it is too heavy.

18 months on and I an still on the treadmill of playing catchup.
I find the10" tablet slightly awkward to hold one handed and the Pipo is so much heavier than my wife's iPad air 2 in fact neither of them completely please me although the iPad is very impressive butI am an android fan and android is rapidly catching up on IOS with each new release.

Recently, I have been scouring the market for my latest android aquisition and after in depth research meeting my personal needs I settled on an Huawei Mediatab M3 wifi only 8" tablet with the following spec:

8.4-inch screen
2,560x1,600-pixel resolution IPS screen
359 ppi
Harman Kardon speakers
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Huawei HiSilicon Kirin octa-core processor
32GB,internal storage
4GB RAM
Nano-SIM card slot
MicroSD card slot, with up to 128GB card support

3DMARK SCORE (ICE STORM UNLIMITED)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Asus ZenPad Z8
Apple iPad Mini 4
Huawei MediaPad M3
NOTE: higher scores indicate better performance
GEEKBENCH 3 SCORE (SINGLE-CORE)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Asus ZenPad Z8
Apple iPad Mini 4
Huawei MediaPad M3
NOTE: higher scores indicate better performance
GEEKBENCH 3 SCORE (MULTI-CORE)
Apple iPad Mini 4
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Asus ZenPad Z8
Huawei MediaPad M3
NOTE: Higher scores indicate better performance.

I paid £309.00 on eBuyer and it is the best tablet I have ever owned. The Geekbench 4 benchmark scores I ran before I installed too many apps place this pocket sized 16 x 9 ratio tablet on par with the iPad Pro. I am blown away and wish I had not wasted all my previous money on budget purchases which collectively, ultimately cost me much and dissapointed frequently.

This tablet (Huawei Mediatab M3 is not widely available in the UK and you are unlikely to see it PC world and the like for some time to come.

I have received one OTA update already and Huawei are suggesting an OTA update to nougat around April.

They do an LTE version if you want mobile online use and also a 64 Gb model too for more money. Although impracticle you can even make and receive phone calls on the LTE model.

The Harman Kardmon full sterio sound is unbelievable for such a compact device and as its name suggests (MediaTab) it is well suited to streaming media and almost a perfect fit for widescreen movies.

Good luck in your purchase whatever you decide, I would like to hear your decision when the time comes. 😊
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.