Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Tablet

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Android Tablet

Looking for some advice on purchasing an android tablet.
Santa's coming early this year and I'm going to treat myself to an android tablet and am looking for something maybe a bit better than a cheap £75 one but not in the £300 - £400 Samsung class.  I don't want an Apple.  My eyesight is not too clever so I need a nominal 10" tab.
I've seen one for £140 with reasonable specs:-
Rockchip 3188 QUAD Core CPU
GPU Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
2GB RAM & 16 GB storage expandable to 48GB
9.7" IPS 1536x1952 retina screen display like the Apple
10 point touch screen
Cameras Front and Rear - 2MP and 5MP
Battery 8000mAH Lithium-ion
Android 4.2.  4.4. has a bug with the micro sd card port and they're working on this at the moment.
The rest of the spec is pretty much like any other tab..  Running AnTuTu v5 benchmarking software it returns 23162 which I understand would indicate it's quite quick.
Whilst it's a no-name tab, it's being imported through a company in the UK and all service work is undertaken over here.  I have exchanged a couple of emails with the Company and they sound very straight.  They have apparently sold lots of tablets and their feedback is good.  Oh and it has a nice metal back!
Anyone any comments on whether this looks ok ?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Android Tablet

Have you got a linky to it?
PNnewbie
Rising Star

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the link.... looks pretty good to me.... but then...... I bought one to "play with" for less than £40 and don`t use it  ! ! ...
I also got an external hard keyboard..... that plugs into the micro usb extender... ( standard usb to mini  cable )... I also got a 4 port "octopus" USB cable...which will then give capability to use keyboard, mouse and wifi dongle .  the keyboard also acts a a "folder" or folding case, to protect the tablet screen...
Keyboard case... ( also has support to use like a laptop)  ....
  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-1-Inch-PU-Leather-Case-Cover-USB-Keyboard-Stand-for-Android-Tablet-PC-/...;   ebay item....  261571271731
4 port octopus USB cable....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Speed-Octopus-Style-USB-4-Port-Hub-OTB-F-Splitter-Cable-Adapter-Lapto...; ebay item..... 201198506708
USB to Micro usb  ( O.T.G ) cable.....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-Host-Cable-Male-to-USB-Female-OTG-Adapter-Android-Tablet-PC-Phon...;   ebay item  ...... 161185885011
None of those items are the one`s that I got.... just using them as examples....  Wink
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for that. 
Just been selling some rubbish on eBay so I have money burning a hole in my pocket !!!
I also had an old Flytouch which I recently sold at a Ham Radio rally for £50 so looking for something newer.
Incidentally was looking at your HiMound refurbishment video - good stuff.
If you ever need HiMound parts you can get them here:-
http://morsex.com/himound/#knobs
73's
Mav
Fixes: 515

Having tried a couple of sub £80 & £40 tablets a few months ago and finding then totally unsatisfactory (especially where Wifi was concerned) I upped my budget and settled for an Acer Iconia Tab 840FHD. It's currently just under £140 at Tesco. I got it for £169 with £20 of vouchers from Argos.
SWMBO has a 10" Tablet which I found too big and the 7" I tried were too small so the 8" feels just right for me. I am very happy with the Acer which has an excellent 1920x1080 (283ppi) screen and is fast and responsive and holds Wifi without issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for your input Mav.
The Iconia looks good.
My problem is I'm partially sighted so a 7" or 8" tablet would be difficult.  If I could manage with a smaller screen I'd seriously be looking at a Tesco Hudl, especially the Mk2 which has good specs for the price.
This one I'm looking at (the Bolt) is a 9.7" and I could manage with that, I had an old resistive screen 10" tablet 'till a few weeks ago and that was no problem.  Tablets with a nominally 10" screen can be a bit impractical to carry around but I wouldn't be taking it anywhere.
I've actually got a small netbook but the battery has gone and I can't be bothered replacing it so that's another candidate for eBay!  In any event it ran XP and I want a change!
Thanks again.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Have you had a look at the Samsung 10" although the resolution is much lower at 1280 x 800 pixels?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Mav,
Thanks for that.
Yes I have looked at the Samsung - and this is a good price but it's just a bit more than what I wanted to spend.  I bought a Samsung for my grand daughter when she went to University and I was quite impressed with it.
The specs for the Bolt are better than the Samsung, just that it's not a branded tab, the company that sells it call all their tabs Nova.  I could probably save £25 - £30 by buying direct from China but if I got hit by Customs the saving would be much less.  Then there's the problem with returning it to China if it was faulty.  The Bolt is probably a £100 - £120 tab which has already had the duties paid...  The company were very quick to point out that I can return it within 14 days if I was unhappy with it.