Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Software App download query

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Android Software App download query

Have found an App on google play.... that I could download to my laptop... is it possible to transfer that download and install it on my tablet, using a memory stick?
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Android Software App download query

couldn't you just connect your tablet to your laptop and transfer it?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

A bit of an "How long are short pieces of string" question Shutter?
Depends a lot on the App and the format it's in.  You should be able to use the Micro-USB cable to do the transfer / install, but it will probably need some settings changed to get into 'developer' mode and allow USB download.
I've done it on my Nexus, but this is stretching my skillset somewhat.
HTH in getting started.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

davidg52
Grafter

Hi
You can use a program called Airdroid which you install on your pc and your tablet. It works quite well, I use it.
Regards
Dave
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Well, thanks guys... something weird happened, while I was posting that..... my tablet is switched off , and is about 2 feet away from my wireless router on the same level as the antenna/aerial...
The app I was thinking about, i clicked on the install button... ( the app was free )... and got a message saying it would be installed soon..... OK... so, yeah... OK!... checked my apps on my google play and there it was on my laptop.. ( did not run though ! )... thought ... Ah, well, might as well do it on the android.... opened it up.. booted up... and .. YIKES !... as if by magic it was there on my desktop on the android..... ! ! !  however.. when I tried the same thing on another app with the tablet switched on and booted,... although it said it had installed it ( on the laptop ).. I could not open it and it has not appeared on my tablet  ! ! ...
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Normally when you click on install in the play store, it asks you where to install it (if you have multiple devices) it is then automatically downloaded to the device you selected.
OR if you get an .apk file you can install it using an sdcard, you will need to allow 3rd party apps to be installed in settings. And use a file manager to view the sdcard and install it by clicking on it.
Using play store you CANNOT download the app to your pc/laptop to install later, it only pushes it.
Amazon app store will allow you to get a FREE paid app daily, you need to download the app store from Amazon and install it as mentioned above. Once you have the store installed you can install apps directly from Amazon same as play store.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've found that some Android devices need to be rebooted for newly installed apps to show up.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Not any of mine, however I did find that ipv6 stopped play downloading them, it would just sit there until I disabled ipv6 on the tablet.
Another thing to note, if you DON'T want the new apps appearing on the main screen there is a setting to change that as well.