cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Keyboard with Preset keys

Mav
Fixes: 515

Android Keyboard with Preset keys

Until the recent update to Android 6.0.1 (Galaxy S5 Mini) I was happy using the Standard Samsung keyboard which allowed you to set 9 pre-set keys (1-9) which, when held for about 1 second, automatically inserted the text. This function has now been removed. I am currently using ai.type Free Emoji Keyboard which sort of offers what I want except that an extra row of keys are added at the bottom which just need a quick press and I am constantly pressing one of them by mistake and having to delete the inserted text so I don't really like this one. I have tried a few others but wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES 2
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Android Keyboard with Preset keys

Sounds like quite a good feature to remove. Shame.

On iOS devices there is an option to create text shortcuts that will take a simple bit of text and replace it with the longer version after typing. So you can create the shortcut 'ttyl' and it will automatically be switched out for 'talk to you later' and you can do this for any combination of letters when typed.

I just had a look and it would seem that you can create shortcuts on Android in the same way.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2847469/too-much-tapping-create-your-own-android-and-ios-keyboard-sho...

Not quite the same as holding down a button but at least its something.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Android Keyboard with Preset keys

@jaread83

Came across that option and may give it a go but was used to using the above method for a long time.

Can't believe they removed it. Why fix what 'ain't broke'Roll_eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still