Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android - How do I copy & paste ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Android - How do I copy & paste ?

Got my new "wallpaper" pics on my dongle.... got the dongle plugged into the 4 port usb.... found the dongle, and the folder with the pics on File Manager... found out how to select a single file, and found a bar at the bottom of screen which says  "Paste"      "Delete"    "Copy"    " Move"  .... BUT that`s as far as I can go... 
If I select  "Copy"  or "Move"  it comes up in red saying  "holding Android Wallpapers"    ..... so where/what do I do now?
Can`t see any option as to where I can move or copy the folder to..... nor how to do it...  Would like to have it on my desktop to start with.. just so I know where I can find it... but if there is someewhere else that it should be... how do I get it there ?  Huh
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Android - How do I copy & paste ?

What app are you using? If it is esfilexplorer then just select another by holding your finger on it and then a check box will appear allowing you to select more by just clicking on them then select copy, then navigate to the folder you want to place them and click the paste icon.
shutter
Community Veteran

I was using File Manager... which shipped with the Android OS.... I do have the  ESfileexplorer....so will have another go....
Have been trying several ways by searching on the tablet, but always seem to come to a dead end... and never managing to copy them across....
I have, actually, copied them across from the usb stick to the TF card on my desk laptop...(in frustration! ! ! )... so am at leisure now to find the way to do it on the tablet itself...
Thanks for your continued help HB.  Wink
kmilburn
Grafter

After selecting the files and doing copy,  what happens when you change to a different folder and select paste?
shutter
Community Veteran

Regard my original post....
I just can`t get past the Copy page.. cos there is not any place to "drag" or take them to.... If I leave the page then they are "lost"... and not carried to the "destination" page ( e.g. desktop)...
Will have a play around again later on today.. as I am off out for the rest of the afternoon...
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
What app are you using? If it is esfilexplorer then just select another by holding your finger on it and then a check box will appear allowing you to select more by just clicking on them then select copy, then navigate to the folder you want to place them and click the paste icon.

OK... ESfile explorer... shows USBhost1 connected... and the folders on it.... long press on the folder for copying.... "more" appears on the bottom tool bar .... choose copy to.. and it repeats that at bottom of screen.... BUT.... that is as far as I can get.... there is no dialogue to say where I want to move or copy it to........  It will not move to the "Home" on the left side menu... nor will it transfer if I open the "home" page...  Tried "Add to Desktop"  but it doesn`t appear on there either. !...

I have just found a copy of the contents of the folder ( not the actual folder) in Library > Images    however... I did not physically put it there... !.. so does it automatically download stuff from the usb stick to "appropriate" place in "Library".......i.e.  pics in "images" and vids in "Movies"  ?  with no control from me ? ? ?
On a similar point... how do I make a "new folder"... and where do I do that?  I would need to do that with the "images" that are now downloaded in Library ... to keep some control over what images were in what location....

I do have mouse control... which I find easier than the "dobber" or big fingers on screen..... ( also have physical keyboard )....

HairyMcbiker
All Star

You said you wanted files not FOLDERS!
Anyway.
To copy a FOLDER.
select and choose COPY
move to the folder you want to paste it into - top of the screen will move back a level if pressed
Click on the paste icon.
To copy multiple files
Select one press and hold , it should appear with a checkbox next to it. Select the rest you want
Select COPY
rest as above.
shutter
Community Veteran

To copy a FOLDER.
select and choose COPY 
Yeah... I get that bit.... 
but this next bit is the bit I just can`t seem to get to....

move to the folder you want to paste it into - top of the screen will move back a level if pressed
Click on the paste icon.
as mentioned... once I have clicked on COPY... nothing is "presented" to copy to... If I move off the page with the files/folders on... to "Library" > "images" page,.....  there is no "Paste" option at the bottom or anywhere else..... not even the "more" option...

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Once you have selected something AND pressed copy, a pop out box should appear on the RHS, this contains the stuff you have selected.
You then move to where you want it and press paste.
See the attached screenshot. In it I have selected some files and moved to the sdcard to paste them. The icon in the middle of RHS (in grey next to the Music) is the paste box container. You just need to select paste on the LHS.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi HB.... OK... never seen that appear before..... have managed to copy the folder from the usb stick, and pasted it on the HOME  page..
Thanks...  Wink  much appreciated.  Smiley