cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And who said mains voltage it 240V LoL

itsme
Grafter

Re: And who said mains voltage it 240V LoL

Open and closed circuits, a closed circuit will have voltage and current an open circuit will have voltage but no current. If a light switch is off it's an open circuit with no current flowing but voltage on one of the switch poles. The v=ir formula are only for closed circuits.
itsme
Grafter

Actually the proper term to use is Electromotive Force. This describe the voltage applied at the beginning of the circuit as 0 voltage can be measured when current is flowing i.e. on the 0v return path.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and dont forget the square root of minus 1 = J Crazy
gswindale
Grafter

I thought it was i
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well it was a long time ago I did it, just wanted to see if you were in Phase Crazy
But according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_unit it can be either, so perhaps I was right when I went to college?
gswindale
Grafter

from that link, it depends who you are as to what it is - I'm a mathematician by Uni degree course, so I'd go for i, yet physicists would probably go for the j to avoid confusion with current (i).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Which raises the question - why is "I" used for current?
I could understand (A)mpere or (C)urrent or (C)harge - but what does I stand for?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

This may explain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_electromagnetism_units C can't be used as this is for Charge which is Coulombs.
(A) can't be used as this is already used in current formula to represent area, I=nAvQ