cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An interesting way to distribute passwords!

LiamM
Grafter

An interesting way to distribute passwords!

As it happens, I never use my old Fasthosts account, but today i got the following email :-
Dear Customer,
We wrote to you on 18th October 2007 advising that you change the password on your Fasthosts account in order to prevent any unauthorised account access following the network intrusion we previously communicated.
Whilst we have found the vulnerability that caused this issue, and have instigated a system wide security audit to improve and enhance our current security, we also advised you to change your control panel password as a precaution.
Today we have been made aware that a small number of our customers who did not change their passwords have experienced a compromise to their FTP space.
As a result, in order to totally protect all of our customers, we have today implemented an automatic password change for every control panel & FTP password that was not previously reset.
To ensure complete security when communicating your new passwords to you, we will take the stringent measure of sending the new control panel password via Royal Mail.
Please note that the email password reminder system will not work from the time you receive this mail, to the time you log in with your new control panel password.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER SHOULD YOU TRY TO REUSE ANY OF YOUR OLD PASSWORDS
We apologise for the inconvenience that this will cause you during this period, but trust you understand that our primary concern is for our customers and for the security of their websites and data. Unfortunately, an automatic password change is the only way of ensuring that all of our customers are totally secure.
If you have any questions relating to this, please contact our Customer Support team on 0870 888 3600 or customersupport@fasthosts.co.uk, and they will be more than happy to help you.
Thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Yours sincerely,
The Fasthosts Team

Shame the address they have for me I moved out of about 2 years ago.
4 REPLIES 4
LiamM
Grafter

Re: An interesting way to distribute passwords!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oh dear,
I'm not sure I'd like to work in their Customer Support Centre today. Will be a long Friday of people asking why they can no longer access their control panel/FTP space and being told they'll have to wait until next week for a new password to come through Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not send the passwords via post on two CD's? Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Unsurprisingly they've seemed to have upset some people over this.