Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Kindle

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Amazon Kindle

If you are using an e-book and connect directly via a wireless router are you leaving yourself open to any virus or malware programs that could cause problems for the software on the e-book or allow access to any account you have with Amazon or any other site you download and pay for e-book content ? 
We are born into history and history is born into us.
50 REPLIES 50
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Re: Amazon Kindle

As a Kindle owner I am fairly certain that such risks are very low from what I have read elsewhere. I believe the Kindle software is Linux based and no account information is ever transmitted via the Kindle. You have to have (or set up on-line via your PC) an account with Amazon with your debit/credit card details enabled for one-click purchases and the Kindle is then registered to that account, any book then bought via the Kindle is then downloaded to only that registered unit and your account is automatically charged with the purchase. If you buy a book from elsewhere you have to download it to your PC and transfer it to the Kindle via the USB lead provided - you can also do this for books purchased from Amazon if you want to feel really secure.
I would not want to claim it's foolproof (nothing involving a computer is that) but so far I've experienced no problems since purchased during the summer and it has proved a delight to use.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

gleneagles, I would say YES, so use the USB lead provided, and don't use wireless.
Sadly a Kindle is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard to me!
MrC
Grafter

Well, for starters the current Kindle supports WPA2 so is as secure as any wireless can currently get - just make sure you follow normal best practice by using a good passphrase.
So is there a risk connecting a Kindle to the 'net (either via 3G or wirelessly)? Not really - or at least the risk is so miniscule it isn't worth worrying about. Unless you use the builtin browser (which is extremely limited in terms of active content) the Kindle only connects to Amazon's servers and doesn't allow inbound connections. Plus the Kindle runs Linux, and a very cut -down and customised version at that, so wouldn't be prone to the vast majority of the exploits out there which are designed for Microsoft products. Somebody would have to design a specific exploit for the version of Linux and the supporting environment being run, and then work out some way of getting it onto the Kindle.
Plus the whole thing can be hard reset and will rebuild itself the next time it talks to Amazon restoring your Amazon books, place markers and bookmarks etc. Any non-Amazon books and documents can be reloaded in the same way you got them on in the first place.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Many thanks for your responses.
To be honest it is not a product I would have purchased for myself but got it as a birthday present.
Since then I have been playing around with it and for the money it seems ok, as to how much I will use it remains to be seen so will reserve judgement on it for the time being.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

lots of free ones on Amazon for it, mainly classics
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Had a chance to play around with the Kindle over the past few days and am quite impressed (so far)
As you say plenty of free books out there plus some quite good modern ones for a £1 or less.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Chris already has one of these, and I was looking to pick one up for my birthday in a couple of month's time. Interested in hearing peoples' feedback.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

You can get the experience Bob as Amazon do a free PC reader for the Kindle books, try it on a laptop
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Amazon do a free PC reader for the Kindle books, try it on a laptop

Honestly it's not even comparable. PC screens are backlit, the Kindle isn't which is why it's so easy to read for long periods without straining your eyes.
I'd certainly recommend one to anyone who is thinking about one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What's wrong with trying to read a real book?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MrC
Grafter

Nothing at all. It's just that ebook readers such as the Kindle make reading a whole lot easier and, for many,  the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
I also see that Amazon have started a scheme in the USA where Kindle owners can lend their ebooks to other account holders. There are conditions but it's a start to what some people see as one of the main disadvantages to the Kindle (and other ebook readers).
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: A
What's wrong with trying to read a real book?

OK, so the Kindle costs around £100 and that will buy a lot of books but there are hundreds of thousands of books free for download both fiction & Non fiction although in most cases these books are fairly old.
The exception is some authors who are trying to get recognition for their work and either provide free books or charge a small fee (usually anything up to a £1) At this price it is easy to think they would be rubbish but I have already read several that match books that cost £6 - £7.
If you do a lot of reading then the Kindle is good value but it does not display colour so it's main use is for reading paperback covers rather than text books containing coloured drawings .
It can connect to the internet & download books without the need of a computer providing Wi-Fi connection is available, so for the money it's good.
As previously stated I would not have bought one but this was a present and on the basis of what I now know, I would have purchased one. (if that makes sense)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Confession....I've just ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive.
I have to admit I'm a bit like a woman in Primark with stuff like this. Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I have to admit I'm a bit like a woman in Primark with stuff like this. Embarrassed

What, you can't decide between the Hot Pink or Apple Green covers?  Roll_eyes