cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Fire TV

bigfish
Grafter

Amazon Fire TV

I wonder if someone can help me? I am interested in purchasing one of these to try and overcome a continuity of broadband service. To give a bit of background info., I currently use a Sony BluRay player to stream movies and TV programmes to my TV through Amazon's Instant Video app. I find that, at the start of the stream, I can receive up to 12Mb/s and everything goes well, until at some point the band width suddenly drops to 1Mb/s, the film or tv programme freezes and I have to call it a day and try again at some future point. I have contacted PlusNet to ask for their advice and they have inspected the continuity of service and can see spikes and drop-outs, but don't seem to be able to provide a solution. So, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using the Amazon Fire TV box, and if the internal memory within the box might be able to buffer and temporarily store movie content whilst it simultaniously streams, to overcome my continuity problem? Amazon have, so far, been pretty hopeless in giving me an answer to this question, and all I get is the sales pitch of how amazing it is, rather than an answer to this specific technical issue. Your advice would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Re: Amazon Fire TV

Not sure I can explain in technical terms but I've used the Fire TV box since it was released in the UK for streaming of films and music, plus I have over 6000 photos loaded into Amazon cloud for viewing.
My broadband maxes out at just over 5mb and the box has worked faultlessly all of the time.
The Amazon help desk for it is manned by people that know what they are doing.
I've called them once, shortly after the product launch as I was hearing "crackling" in the background on some programs. A quick reset fixed it  and subsequently has been a software update to fix.
There have also been a few updates that just appear, last was for the release of unlimited music streaming for Prime Members - also works very well indeed.
dragon2611
Grafter

It depends what's causing the drops in bandwidth.
The FireTV is a nice device (I have both the FireTV and the FireTV Stick) but it won't fix a problem on your internet conneciton.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: dragon2611
I have both the FireTV and the FireTV Stick

I've been considering one of these to replace my Cyclone Nano Slim+ Media Centre (Android box).
Do you recommend one over the other? I've seen a couple of YouTube videos, and the box appears to be faster than the stick, but against that it is a bit more expensive.