cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I to hot!

amcclean
Rising Star

Am I to hot!

My Laptop went a bit haywire today and I am trying to determine if it is overheating.
The temp for each of the cores is currently 68 degrees c
I have found this site which details my CPU, Intel Pentium T2370, and it's min and max: 0 -100. Is 68 to 69 degrees c normal for a laptop sitting on a desk with no obstructions. Am I heading for trouble or is this ok?
11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Am I to hot!

With the CPU idle, that's too hot.
With both CPUs 100% in use at full speed, it's about the same as my laptop (Core 2 Duo T6400).
Edit: actually mine doesn't get quite that hot, it's keeping the CPU at about 60C under full load, by putting the fan up to "medium". But I usually keep the CPU frequency lower to keep it quieter (and cooler).
Try blowing the dust out of the fan.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I've had hotter. When you get to 75C then you need to really worry.
IF you're skilled with a screwdriver and fairly confident taking it apart you could always dust out the cooling fins and the fan assembly. I did that with an old laptop years ago and was amazed just how much was in there. Do be careful though as they're far more frail than desktop PCs and its often easy to crack the screen on the hinges etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I must try to do something with my home laptop as it gets so hot it leaves a heat rash on my legs. I keep meaning to attempt to clean out the vents, but knowing my luck I'll probably break it! Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I've got one of these and it works pretty well at saving keeping my legs and the laptop cool Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey, that looks like a great idea. Although I'll try sucking it's brains out with the hoover first! Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That cooling mat looks more likely to block the air intake than do anything useful!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

depends where your vents are. if they're on the bottom of the laptop you have a poorly designed laptop.
Mine are on the back.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Joanne
Hey, that looks like a great idea. Although I'll try sucking it's brains out with the hoover first! Smiley

Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Be careful about using an upright hoover on a laptop. The revolving brush/beater bar would chew up the keyboard. Cheesy
On a more serious note - the air rushing into a hoover hose can generate static electricity which could do a number on your motherboad bits.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: dvorak
depends where your vents are. if they're on the bottom of the laptop you have a poorly designed laptop.
Mine are on the back.

Mine has vents on the bottom, but I use a solid lap rest. This had a solid top with a 'bean-bag' type lap cushion. comfortable ans allows the air to flow freely.  Cheap too, idf I can remember where I got it I will share. Undecided
matt_2k34
Grafter

I feel a little bit late to the party...
Quote from: Joanne
I keep meaning to attempt to clean out the vents, but knowing my luck I'll probably break it! Smiley

Tut tut!
easiest way i find to clean out the crapola in my laptop is to phsyically 'blow' into the vent (doesnt matter if the fan is spinning - you can safely stall an electric motor for several seconds before burning it out..) - i generally do mine with the fan on as it helps to clear out any little bits of dust after the 'cloud' has appeared  Grin
_x___________
x                      |
|                        |
|____________|
^ Crude drawing aside, thats the point of the GPU and CPU vents (GPU is the one on the side) - blowing into the vent as hard as possible clears the junk out of the CPU side vent (shared heatsink) and jobs a good'un Smiley
obviously the smokers of the forum might want to use a compressor / compressed air can to do the dirty work.
N.B. Remember to inhale BEFORE sticking your face on the vent... breathing in clumps of dust is not advisable  Grin
This is my 'tray' for sitting with my laptop - made of 4mm Steel - laser cut Smiley (no 'cushion') the little 'hand-y holes' in the sides make carrying the laptop around the house much easier (without the horrible plastic-under-pressure feeling)

Regards