cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I secure ?

oldgeezer
Grafter

Am I secure ?

I've just been  looking at a forum about Netgear routers and in one of the posts was a little pop-up box that contained the name of my ISP provider, the IP address I am presently connected on and the operating system I am using.
I'm a bit of a novice at this sort of thing but did I ought to be concerned or is this a wind-up and the sort of thing anyone can find.
My router firewall is enabled as is my Windows one  and my security suite doesn't flag a problem.
10 REPLIES 10
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Am I secure ?

I've came across this what you describe, I'm surprised It did not know what web browser you were using also, Go here  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and press proceed to  run the test ( Click on all service ports and wait for results) If It comes back as "Stealth " You have nothing to be concerned about.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've seen those on forums around the Internet previously, IIRC you can get them from danasoft and they're completely harmless.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Fixed my Link...https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thank-you for the replies both. I ran the application and it came back with all ports properly blocked.
It's put my mind at rest.
oldgeezer    Roll_eyes
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Now you have ran that really good test If you see anything In your router logs dated today and It looks like an attack( DOS), Fear not.. This test does that, Nowt to worry about. Wink
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

it's basically some script that runs locally, doesn't report anything and is generally just there to worry you other nothing Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

http://www.danasoft.com/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

I hadn't heard of it before but having just followed Strat's link I find that it is inaccurate.  The IP address was correct but it reported my ISP as Brightview Group Limited.  Huh  Is this the case?  I always thought that I was with Plusnet.  It did accurately report that I was using Linux and Firefox.  There was one box (reported as new) that said I was near Coventry but I reckon that it's got to be at least 80 miles away.  Anyway, this is just one of those things about the web that is complete flimflam IMO.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm near High Wycombe ;)...not sure if that's good or not Roll_eyes but it got everything else right.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Brightview Group Limited owned Madasafish (and others) and were merged into Plusnet after being taken over by BT Retail. So Brightview Group are Plusnet in the same way that Force9, Free-Online, Metronet, etc are Plusnet. Most effective use of the stock of IPs results if all the IP ranges are allocated irrespective of vISP.
The danasoft checker works out the user's ISP by checking the IP against the registered owner of the range, which for some ranges is Brightview Group. "Location" is the address of the ISP. Other information, eg details of OS and Browser comes from what your browser passes over in the request headers. The checker isn't "clever" in any way, it just interprets what the browser supplies with any page request.
If you want to see what is given out by your browser click on "Browser Headers" on the GRC ShieldsUP page linked to earlier.
David