cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing something?

Not applicable

Am I missing something?

As previously mentioned in another thread, I have recently installed Ubuntu on jmdlp's old Sony laptop.
From starting the installation to having a fully functioning computer all updated and 'net-worthy it can't have taken more than about an hour at most. To say that she has never seen the OS before she has done remarkably well and as far as I can see, she is managing to do most of her day to day things on this computer.
Now she has a swanky new Dell, which admittedly is far nicer than the Sony but she has spent the best part of the day setting it up and still hasn't finished.
Linux is so easy - why is it that folk aren't catching on to this and converting over? Mind you, it has taken me a very long time to try it too  and I don't know why either.  Must be the world's best kept 'secret'.  Huh
6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Am I missing something?

Hi,
    I catched it and im never letting go lol,ive went and upgraded my ram just so i can have a smoother experience with linux,i really dont understand why its taken her the best part of the day to set up? now i would expect that with windows as you know i previously took 2 days setting up xp after a mishap i had,but everythings there in linux and ubuntu,admittedly its going to take me more than a day too get used too!because you learn something new everyday,perhaps shes a bit stumped if you set it up last time and she wasnt paying attention,i think finding the programs like java and flash were a bit confusing too me at first,but this is my first baby step into the world of linux and i never want too grow up Cheesy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The brain washing must be wearing off  Wink
You need to re-visit a PCWorld/Currys/Comet to see why M$ is ssssssssssssoooooooo gggggggggggoooooooddddddddd (Just remember to leave your purse in the car ::))
Yes you can have a pc up and running (fully updated) with Internet, an office suite, a printer and email in less than an hour, If you are really in a hurry no need to install, just boot the CD!
@steve74 the day was to setup vista, not Ubuntu.
Not applicable

No Steve, Ubuntu took me less than an hour, although admittedly I had a bit of a faff with Java which all came good when I took off Iced Tea plug in. It is jmdlp that has spent the best part of the day with Vista set up i.e. security, MS downloads, rebooting and what have you.
And no, Biker - will not be taking a trip to Curry's, Comet or anywhere else to be 'brainwashed', even though I am a pushover when it comes to new 'puters.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

OOOOOPPPPSSSS!!! Well it took me two days with xp that was for all the updates etc and had to go and find drivers bla bla bla,microcons a right pain in the butt when it comes to a fresh install Crazy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
Linux is so easy - why is it that folk aren't catching on to this and converting over? Mind you, it has taken me a very long time to try it too  and I don't know why either.  Must be the world's best kept 'secret'.  Huh

Might have something to do with not having the massive marketing budgets that M$ and Apple have to push their way on to everyone, and to perpetuate the myth that "Linux isn't ready for the Desktop".
Denzil
Grafter

Indeed. Linux is free, so retailers have little incentive to promote it.