cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always asking for more information

gonewrong

Always asking for more information

Hello everyone,
I have recently got fibre optic broadband from plusnet and I seem to be having a quite annoying issue and was wondering if other people are experiencing it and if anyone knows any ways to sort it out.
Every time I start internet explorer, I get taken to this site - https://www.plus.net/apps/getstarted/ ; -  It keeps asking me to log in and enter information to finish setup. I do this and it takes approx. 2-5 mins to finish. Sometimes is finishes and says connection is complete, but other times is come up with an error.
The strange thing is, I can access some websites like Hotmail.com or facebook. But I cannot access google or bbc sport/football for example.  I must say that I have only had the broadband fitted a few days ago. I have rebooted pc and router and mother board. All is working, but alas I have no idea.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Always asking for more information

Hi there,
That's the page you get when the automatic setup hasn't worked - are you factory resetting the router at all? That's the only way you should be getting that page again if you've connected successfully.
Either way I can see you're online at the moment, please let us know if this is still ongoing in spite of that.
gonewrong

Hey,
Thank you for your reply. I am not factory resetting it at all to my knowledge. I have only reset both the router and the modem twice by switching them off at the box, then the plug.
I am indeed online but still getting the same pages when I start the internet. and still cannot access some websites.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gonewrong,
Sounds like a possible caching issue with Windows (I assume you're running windows? Hope so...)
If so, please try the following.
Open a command prompt window (click start, in the search box at the bottom type 'cmd' (no quotes) then click the Command Prompt option that should appear at the top of the search).
Once you have that open (should be a little black window with a white flashing cursor) type in 'ipconfig /flushdns' (again without quotes) and hit enter.
That should flush the DNS cache and hopefully allow you to visit any website.
Hope that helps, please let us know.
gonewrong

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your help but again, it is not working. PlusNet have sent me a new router - set up this morning, but alas it is still not working correctly.
This really is strange as I've never had this issue before with other internet suppliers.
Thank you anyway  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar problem recently but with completely different hardware, but the solution might work for you.
I had a new modem/router, and the first time I switched it on my browser took me to some quick start setup wizard.
I didn't want to use the wizard, as I wanted to update the firmware, clear the config, and manually go through every setting.
Therefore I backed out of the wizard, and successfully did all my router config changes manually.
Unfortunately after that, every time I opened my browser I was directed to a router configuration page.
The router configuration wizard had reprogrammed my browser homepage.
All I did to fix it was navigate to a web page that I wanted to be my homepage (in my case http://www.google.co.uk)
and then went to my browser settings and set the homepage to be the current page.
From that moment on, my browser always opens as expected on the Google UK search page, and I have an excellent new modem/router.
Smiley
gonewrong

Hey purleigh,
Thanks for your input. That is what I have been doing so far for the websites that will work..
with my last router - google.com would work, but google.co.uk would not.
with this router - google.co.uk works, but google.com does not.
along with lots of other pages.
For example - I can log into diviantART and look around and so on, but when I click on view profile - it goes back to the  https://www.plus.net/apps/getstarted/ page!
Very strange stuff ha..
Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well it was worth a try !  Cry
Have you tried a different browser ?
gonewrong

wow..
so simple.
i was using internet explorer.