cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to WIndows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

FIXED
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Alternative to WIndows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

@shutter wrote:

... despite that over 9,800 people have viewed it.

Unlikely, as the view count goes up every time someone visits the thread to read a new post or refresh their memory on something.  So it's not new people adding to the view count.  Try opening a page on the thread and refreshing it five times - the view count will go up by five!  Wink

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

Possible that site indexers etc. would also artificially raise those numbers.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

@RobPN  If you cannot run it because of your external device because it requires hardware-level access to my quad-tuner DVB-T2 card  that is not a fault you can associate with ZORIN15 CORE or LITE or the use of WINE 6 as described in the original thread.

If you want to... you can get it in LINUX   from the Synaptic Package Manager... as an ADD-ON to KODI  also available from Synaptic Package Manager . (see below this pic)

media portal.png

kodi package .png

Or alternatively, you can install KODI from the Software Manager..

kodi software manager.png

Then add in the "add-on" previously mentioned.   Smiley

RobPN
Hero

Thanks for the info @shutter but that seems to be a lot of bother for no gain, when MP is working just fine under Windows!  Smiley Thumbs_Up

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN   Well, I did that research ... just for you... because of your post....

@shutter wrote:

... they could still run their favourite Windows applications on another O.S. and how relatively easy it would be for them to transition from Windows to the alternative O.S.

Not always true @shutter .

For instance one of my favourite Windows programs is MediaPortal, and whilst it might be possible to get the program running with the methods you describe,

Sorry for wasting my time.  Lips_are_sealed

shutter
Community Veteran

Today, the view count on my  "No more windows updating"  thread, at the top of this board, made TEN THOUSAND.  Smiley

Thank you for the interest.... Smiley

ten thousan views.png

Which goes to show, that there has been a lot of interest in it over the past 16 months. 

Of course. quite a few will have been "just curious" lookers... to find out what it was all about... and I hope that quite a few will also have given it a go. 

Linux Mint has moved on, since the original was posted.. so it is not quite as "straight forward" to install WINE on the latest version using the instructions on that thread. with that in mind, I started this second thread. Alternative to Windows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

A much simpler method of "not relying on Windows O.S."  is described ...  It is much less techy, and much more user friendly.

It would be nice, if those that do... could make this thread a sticky, to make it easier to find,  for all those interested, as it too, could surpass the 10, 000 viewpoint .

Assuming that the current rate of views is maintained over the next 15.5 months... a projected figure at the end of 16 months, could be 10,400 views.   (2 weeks view count shows 325... divide by 2 for one weeks view count = 162... multiply by 16 (months) x4 = 64  weeks  = 10,400 )

For the pedants, amongst you, I was not actually counting all the weeks, but using 4 weeks as a generalisation, for illustration purposes only... the actual number of weeks, would, therefore, possibly increase the projected final figures above the 10400 mark.

RobPN
Hero

10,000 is not as many as the other three 'stickied' posts at the top of this board @shutter , so presumably they were/are more interesting!  

And I suspect any thread which is pinned to the top of the board will receive a large number of hits!  Smiley

e.g. just imagine how many views this thread would have got if it had been pinned instead of just being 'left to take its chances'!

DFTD.PNG

And BTW, the images are missing from your OP in that thread.  Wink

dvorak
Fixes: 1,285

Quite the Forum Rules post has 190327 views and most people ignore those Roll_eyes
And it's not a distinct view as has already been pointed out.
Someone could sit the and keep opening the link to bump up the count.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 214

Seems to me that with these 'instructional' posts the key is how many readers find them interesting and/or act on them.

I have read @shutter's promotion of Linux over the several topics that they cover. I have to confess that this inspired me to have a go and I currently have an old computer set up in dual boot mode with Win 10 and Mint 20.2.

I have had a go with Zorin and could not get on with it. Yes initially I found that installing Wine on Mint was a pain and much playing in terminal mode for hours, with several re-installs after following advice that I couldn't get to work. Then I hit on the appoach where I found that all I had to do was to install Wine from the Software Manager then install Play on Linux. This latter package magically found and installed all the other stuff needed to make it work and as far as I can remember got it up and running without me needing to touch Terminal mode.

The first post in this thread seems to scream 'Win 10 is being superceded, quick upgrade to Linux'. In fact Win 10 will ne supported until the middle of October 2025 by when I'm guessing many computers that do not support TPM will be replaced anyway. As I have said before, the fact that a new operating system will not work on old hardware is nothing new and not constrained to Microsoft.

The main issue I had was whether Win 11 would be free, as it turns out it will be. Consequently I shall upgrade my main computer, which only needed a single change in the BIOS to enable TPM, (which works fine under WIN 10) to tactivater TPM2.0. I will leave Win 11 a few months to settle the early inevitable bugs before making the move.

I now have 4 years to decide what to do with my old laptop, which I only use when away on holiday. My choices will be to either be very careful with Win 10 should I decide to keep that installed, go fo a version of Linux or turn that into a dual boot machine.

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

UPDATE : -----    As of August 17 2021..... Latest version of ZORIN os   is version 16.

You can download it from this link https://zorin.com/os/download/

Scroll down the page a little to get the FREE version of either CORE or LITE .

Enjoy ! Smiley