cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to WIndows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Alternative to WIndows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

Alternative Operating System to Windows 11. 

There are quite a few alternative O.S.`s available... (Just google “Alternative to Windows O.S.)

Linux has many different distro`s ( distributions) and MAC O.S..

Most popular Linux O.S. Is MINT 20 but it needs quite a lot of work learning its ways...

This “instructional” is about ZORIN15 CORE or LITE... is much easier to adapt to, from WINDOWS.

The Operating System that you use on your computer/desktop/tower/laptop, is similar to the wardrobe in your bedroom. !

It is where you hang your spare clothes until you need them...

in the same way.. your operating system is where you “hang” your other programs and applications until you need them.

Windows is just one of many such “wardrobes”..It`s the B&Q of wardrobes, if you like..

Other operating systems such as Linux and MAC, work in just the same way... but kind of differently too...

Soon,... Windows 11 will be thrust upon the world.... and, some would see this as a good thing, and an improvement/update on Windows 10...

HOWEVER... if your machine was built and shipped before 2017.. it is quite likely that Windows 11 will not run on it...

so you need an alternative Operating system …

I have been “playing around with Linux MINTfrom version 8 to present version 20.1 ( July 2021). whilst running Windows as my main O.S. Just to find out how it works, and some of the ways it is different, etc.

It took me a long time to figure out, and to be competent enough, to be able to install a Linux Mint version and on top of that another program called WINE which enables Windows type programs/applications to run, just like they do on a Windows O.S.

It`s complicated, and drawn out... one typing error, and it all goes pear shaped, and you have to start again.

THAT will put many people off trying out Linux …

BUT. Hold on a minute …...

Along the way, I also found a version of LINUX that will do that ( almost ) automatically from the initial install of the O.S.

Which will make the transition from Windows to Linux much easier for long time windows users.

The Operating System is called ZORIN OS https://zorinos.com/download/

By the way.. It is FREE to download... and the LITE and CORE versions are FREE to use.

Scroll down the page a bit for CORE ESSENTIALS... the standard edition for most modern computers...

Lots of useful accessories and utilities in the Software Manager included.

An added bonus is that you can move the HDD you install it on, to any other PC/Laptop, and it will work just the same from boot up, as on the original machine... You can even run it from the USB installer.....

Something you cannot do with Windows

Scroll down a bit further for …

ZORIN LITE ….. for OLDER computers/laptops upto 15 years old.. make it run FASTER !

The current version of ZORIN is 15.3..... in process of being updated to version 16, very soon... you can download and try out the “beta” version …...

..,............ but.......

Read all about the improvements first...

https://blog.zorin.com/2021/04/15/introducing-zorin-os-16-test-the-beta-today/

and scroll down the page for the blue download button. (near the bottom of the page)

OK.. so that is the background now what ? ? ? ?

Go to the link https://zorinos.com/download/ choose your version either CORE or LITE and download it...

I would suggest you make available a spare HDD, all nice and clean... and formatted to FAT32 (even if you`re on a 64bit system).

You can then do a new/clean install on that, and play around with it... adding in some of your favourite windows programs,... get used to how it works etc.. without losing your windows o.s.

You don`t NEED to do that.... just a suggestion... because..

after downloading it.. you will need to burn that .iso file to a USB stick... minimum 8 GB ..

If you do not know how to do that... this link will give you the instructions

https://www.how2shout.com/how-to/how-to-install-zorin-os-on-a-computer-from-usb-stick-or-dvd.html

## REMEMBER to set the “PERSISTENCE” level... so that you can save any work on the USB.

On completion of the burn process... you can then re-boot the computer/laptop, with the USB stick in place, and, selecting USB as the boot option, you will be able to use ZORIN as a trial O.S..

it is not actually installed on the computer/laptop, but is running from the USB>....

...... until... you click on the INSTALL icon..

when you will be given the options to either make a Dual Boot with windows...

or to wipe the HDD and do a clean install.

Once you have got ZORIN installed on the USB stick... you can take that to any computer/laptop, plug it in and (after setting the boot option to USB) you can boot up to ZORIN … and use it like a portable computer !.

NOTE... although you can save your work to the usb stick... (providing that you set the “Persistence level” ) that work will not be installed when you click the “INSTALL” icon on the desktop... you just get the basic install procedure for the O.S.

Any apps or programs you saved on the USB stick, will need to be re-installed on the “new/clean” install of ZORIN.

OK... so far.... you have got ZORIN on a stick... and possibly on a separate HDD.. or even a Dual Boot install...

How do you get WINDOWS type programs to work on LINUX.....

As I said earlier... it is complicated to get WINE installed on Linux MINT.. ( there are guides available on Google searches though)...

With ZORIN... this is not a problem...

because as soon as you download and try to “open” a windows type program .exe file on ZORIN.. you will be asked for your password to allow the changes [as in windows] known as “Authenticate” in Linux...

For an example... and for your first attempt... download and install IRFANVIEW...and the PLUGINS

(Irfanview is an excellent picture/photo view manipulator program)

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm (scroll down for the downloads of both... make sure you get the .exe version.. not the .zip versions )

Zorin will start the process of downloading and installing WINE latest version..

Be aware that the first “Install” screen of Irfanview, will block the Wine Gecko window  so you need to close the Irfanview Install window, until WINE Gecko , etc are completed.( It will not proceed until you close the Irfanview install window.. ) to allow the install of the WINE GECKO etc

You will be asked to allow some small programs (small grey box messages ) during the install process wine gecko.. etc..

The whole process of installing WINE takes about 30 minutes .. so be patient and just keep an eye on the screen for any question that end in Y/N and press Y then the enter key ! ….

When the “Terminal Window” ( command line window) has finished... you can check the version of Wine installed,...by typing wine --version and then the enter key …. note .. that is a space then two hyphens and no space to version …. !

On completion... you should also complete installing Irfanview,.. once that is done... it is a good idea to REBOOT your computer/laptop.

Remove the USB stick before re starting.

Progressing from the initial install of your new operating system... any further Windows type programs/ apps will just install as if running on Windows.. ! .. simples..

For some useful hints & tips... please read on, into Part Two.....

Alternative to Windows 11 - - - Part Two....

moving on – setting up your new Operating System.

Here are a few “tips and tricks” that you might find useful, as you get to know your new FREE operating system.

Now you have ZORIN installed, and you have booted up for the first time ( after the WINE install procedure mentioned)

The following instructions are referring to the “Pop-Up” Menu starting with Accessories in the Left side of the panel....

Click on the Z icon, bottom left corner ( the lower task bar is called “the panel” ).

The computer menu appears...

Go To. > Settings > Network Connections >Set up your WIFI connection .

You will need your wifi access “password” to “connect”...

also..... Settings > Desktop > choose your desktop background picture.

ICONS tab.... > (you can resize the desktop icons here)

> Go To... Default Icons and put tick in Home.....

Wastebasket.....

Removable Devices (to show them on the desktop)

Close the window.. !

**************************************************************************************

Click on the Z icon to view the menu again.

Select …... System > Thunar File Manager > Click on “View” in the menu... select the following.

Statusbar..... Menubar.....Show hidden files..... View as detailed list.

(note... “hidden” files will now show with a fullstop at the start of the name ….. e.g. .local )

Close the window with the X (top right corner)

Click on the Z icon to view the menu again..

Settings > Scroll down for ….. Mouse & Touchpad.

Devices Tab

You can set the mouse buttons to be Left or Right handed. ( and the speed )

You can disable the touch pad permanently if you use a mouse, so that it does not interfere when typing.

Close the window !.

Click the Z icon..

Select > Internet > Firefox > right click and select “Add to Desktop” (Icon appears on the desktop)

Click the <== Back to return to the menu.

Click WINE > then “right click” on Browse C: Drive---- “Add to Desktop

(this will give you access to all your “Windows” Files and folders...as you would on a “normal” windows machine..)

Click the Z icon ..

Click System …. Then Right Click on Task Manager …. Add to Panel.

This will come in useful, if you have any programs, or apps, that are misbehaving.

When you click on it in the “panel”.. it opens a window and you can select the offending program, then right click and you get a pop-out menu.... Stop …. Terminate …. Kill..... Priority Choose “Kill”... this will close it down immediately... If it is a document you are working on.. you will lose all your input unless it was saved earlier.

All the above , were referenced to the “pop-up” Menu

There is also another “menu” more permanent, on the right half of the menu window

showing another “ Settings” ... click this and open the window.... to another set ….

To add your PRINTER... go to Hardware > Printers and follow the guidelines

Under the PERSONAL. Subtitle....

you can disable the Screensaver by moving the blue button on the right side to show grey.

To return to the main settings window... click “All Settings” at the bottom of the window

Close the window when you are done.....

Put the mouse cursor in the middle of the lower task bar ( called “Panel” in Linux ) ! .

Right click … then click on Panel > Add New Items

Scroll down the list and select “Window Menu”... then click on Add.

This will add a little icon on the panel... if you now open pages on your browser, they will appear in a “Popup” menu .. as will anything else that you open up, such as music player, or documents etc.

You can move it, by right clicking and selecting “move” .. to anywhere you want along the length of the panel

Close the window when you are done !.

To add new software...

you do not have to search the internet... there are hundreds of APPS on the “SOFTWARE” menu...

When you click on Software... you will have to wait a short while, for all the apps to show...

You can scroll through them, either by category or by section..

. you can even search to see what is on offer in a particular area....e.g. Music Player..... Video Player... Etc.

Click on Communications & News to find new/different browser to Firefox. Gmail... Dropbox.... Thunderbird.... and loads more stuff ! ! !..

25 REPLIES 25
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Alternative to WIndows 11 ( and other Windows O.S.)

@shutter I need a new Linux distro on my Chromebox, however my sister in law's got Covid so the whole family down in London are isolating, the kids are off school and everything so my Brother can't help.

Basically nothing I use on Linux works at the moment such as Unity etc.

Do you see? Cheesy
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 33

No rush!

Maybe I'll cross that bridge when we get there - in October 2025.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
dvorak
Fixes: 1,291

it's macOS and distro watch would question your assertion that Mint is the most popular.

It's also possible that MS will drop the TPM requirement before go live. ¯\_(ツ)/¯
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I need a new Linux distro on my Chromebox,

No, what you need is something that will run Linux properly.

Chromebooks running linux "hardware acceleration isn't yet supported, including GPU and video decode." so don't think you'll have a chance with Unity.

Customer / Moderator
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@dvorak I know that, but when 75% of the Interweb hates me for reasons I can't help, like not being able to work due to disability, my family won't let me use a hackable Windows device that's prone to virus attacks Sad

Do you see? Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:
it's macOS and distro watch would question your assertion that Mint is the most popular.

It's also possible that MS will drop the TPM requirement before go live. ¯\_(ツ)/¯

@dvorak   SO.... What part of this, do you not understand  ? 

Most popular Linux O.S. 

Is MINT 20 but it needs quite a lot of work learning its ways...

your comment should be removed by a moderator because it is  irrelevant to the subject matter.

dvorak

I’m merely pointing out that Mint isn’t the most popular according to Distrowatch which is a fairly renowned site.
Also the removal of the tpm requirement would enable most if not all windows 10 machines to run windows 11.
And pointing out the correct terminology for macOS is to help your understanding.
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak  You , as a mod... Do... of course, understand that continued, "splitting of hairs", which has no serious relevance to the original thread, is tantamount to "baiting" and " trolling "... something I think you are well aware of.

May I politely suggest, that you withdraw your comments, ( and remove them )  and the follow ups, to retain, the true sense of the original post, throughout.

The comments you have made, have no significant value whatsoever to the thread, nor do they enhance your reputation in their publication on here.

Thank you for your co-operation in this.

dvorak

And this isn't more than a rehash of your pinned post above.

As to relevancy of comments I'm not sure what isn't relevant?
If TPM requirement is removed then there isn't a need to look for an alternative to Windows 11.
Mint isn't the most popular so correcting an error
macOS is the correct name, again correcting an error.

Apologies if this offends you.
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

@dvorak  Your posts have been "reported to moderator"... however. as you are one of them .. I doubt if you will do anything about the baiting and trolling on this thread. Angry

RealAleMadrid
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@shutter  You just don't like anyone correcting your errors or disagreeing with you in any way. All of Dvorak's points were perfectly valid and in no way could be construed as baiting or trolling.

I have a strong aversion to your spaced out posts with different font sizes, is there really any need for that, and to repeat your words  "have no significant value whatsoever to the thread", maybe I will report you to the moderators.😀

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 33

@shutter wrote:

baiting and trolling on this thread. Angry

[mcenroe] You cannot be serious...[/mcenroe]

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
shutter
Community Veteran

TO all concerned..... the whole point of starting this thread, was to pass on some information to those Windows users, who, for whatever reason, but in particular not being able to "update" their O.S. to Windows 11.. 

It was written with good intent, as a service to other forum users, to give them the information that they could still run their favourite Windows applications on another O.S. and how relatively easy it would be for them to transition from Windows to the alternative O.S.

It was not posted to start a war of words or nit-picking/splitting hairs type posting from a moderator.

Dvorak has very cleverly derailed, the thread, and in the process, has disrespected me, and the work I have done, to produce the thread, for the benefit of all forum users... suggesting that this thread is a re-hash of the original sticky at the top of the board...

It is NOT a re-hash... that was specific to LINUX MINT and detailed instructions on how to install it, and WINE... a very long and complicated process... despite that over 9,800 people have viewed it.

The current thread.. refers to a much easier and user friendly way for Windows users to continue to use their windows applications on another O.S. namely ZORIN 15 CORE or LITE .

I did ask that the original be removed, and this one, to replace it. for the benefit of all forum users.  However, the original, is, I suppose, still relevant, for those who would prefer to run Linux MINT instead of ZORIN15 CORE or LITE.

It quite clearly states in my intro, that the most popular LInux  RPT LINUX distro is MINT... ....

If anyone, including the moderators, feel that either of my two  threads, are inaccurate, and falsely representative, then they are welcome to appeal to the moderation team for  their  complete removal.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

... they could still run their favourite Windows applications on another O.S. and how relatively easy it would be for them to transition from Windows to the alternative O.S.

Not always true @shutter .

For instance one of my favourite Windows programs is MediaPortal, and whilst it might be possible to get the program running with the methods you describe, it requires hardware-level access to my quad-tuner DVB-T2 card of which I'm fairly confident it won't be able to get as having tried running it in a virtual machine years ago there was no way to do so.  Things may have changed in that regard but I'm happy the way things are, so I'll continue with my Windows7 Ultimate.  Cool_smiley