Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Comodo

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Alternative to Comodo

I have been using Comodo for several years quite happily. Recently though, when it scans the system I am registering 100% disk usage and my laptop becomes virtually unusable until the scan completes (you know, like it goes when Windows decides to update without telling you!). I am looking for another user friendly firewall. anti virus that isn't such a resource hogger and preferably free. I have had a look at Avast, but am not sure and have used Zonealarm in the past.

Suggestions on a postcard please Smiley

12 REPLIES 12
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Alternative to Comodo

@Marksfish wrote:

Would that be "FREEPOST"  ? ? 

If using windows.... Why not use Microsoft Security Essentials..... runs in the background and you don`t have to worry about it updating.. as it`s done automatically... and you won`t even know its there..

Can`t remember but you should be able to run regular security scans at a convenient time for yourrself.   ( like leave it running overnight on Sunday/Monday, and time the scan for 3.am.  or whatever )

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter idea is probably the easiest way to go but it is, like most 'freebies' - basic. I use it on the laptops, simply because of the very reason you mentioned, scans slowing the laptops down. It seems to run ok in the back ground (I'm assuming it is actually doing something!) without any noticeable slowdowns. You might need to do more reading of reviews re: system resources used before jumping in with another virus checker..

One thought, regarding the slow down, have you got enough disk space remaining?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

@Marksfish wrote:

Would that be "FREEPOST"  ? ? 

Grin Grin Grin

Always worry about what Windows stuff is doing without my knowledge. I didn't think their security stuff was rated very well.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@idonno wrote:

One thought, regarding the slow down, have you got enough disk space remaining?

Plenty of space 715GB of 930GB free and defragged.

shutter
Community Veteran

So "worried about what windows is doing".... what about the ruskies ... some other anti virus progs   and you trust them...  ! 

Comodo is based in New Jersey. U.S.A.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

what about the ruskies ... some other anti virus progs   and you trust them..

Not really. What I was hoping for was people to chip in with what they were using with the pros and cons, but it doesn't seem the thread is going that way.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Marksfish  I already did ! ... however.. I am not using WIndows any more... I am now a Linux Mint User ! ! !.. after many many many years !.. eventually I have made the switch over.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Marksfish wrote:  What I was hoping for was people to chip in with what they were using with the pros and cons

I use Zonealarm extreme security suite but only because I got it cheap (special offer at the time). Pros. Works fine but on an I7 I'd be surprised if any scan slowed the box down. Cons: If you don't use the computer say within every couple of days, on start up it flags up that the virus definitions are out of date, instead of just quietly going off and updating them, it just acts dumb. Whether it does eventually update on its own, god knows. Can't remember how many boxes are covered - 5, I think..

I used to use Malwarebytes but that tends to keep plugging the payware version now. And since I'm already paying, no gain. I did take ZA off one of the laptops because, dread to say, it was slowing the box down while scanning. Well, you didn't think it would be roses all the way.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Avira (free version) plus Windows Defender Firewall works well for me.I also block scripts, ads erc and view emails as plain text.

Comodo seems overkill to me::

https://bestantiviruspro.org/review/comodo-antivirus-review/

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter wrote:

So "worried about what windows is doing".... what about the ruskies ... some other anti virus progs   and you trust them...  ! 

Comodo is based in New Jersey. U.S.A.

Yes, I use Kaspersky. It does everything I need for a security package. 

Of course no US based organisation would dream of spying on you?!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

I have decided I am going to let Windows have a go at protecting my lappy.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Marksfish  Seems to work for a few million other users.... so should be good enough for you ! !   Wink