cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allocation of Broadband Capacity on a Plusnet or Other Router -Is this Possible?

FIXED
declan88

Allocation of Broadband Capacity on a Plusnet or Other Router -Is this Possible?

Hi All

In my house some users hog wifi capacity streaming tv etc, which is great unless someoneelse wants do something else e.g. bootstrap 10000 sets of a 260 variable dataset.  On my quadcore offline, each run took 4 days to complete.  So its of interest to find a more powerful PC online. 

I was wondering whether there is a way to divide whatever capacity comes in to the house or is available thru wifi in some chosen manner to users or devices in a manner somelike a decision tree:

available capacity (AC)

l

--------------------l-------------------------------

l                       l                  l                  l

AC/n               AC/n          AC/n           AC/n

where n is the number or users

3 REPLIES 3
Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Allocation of Broadband Capacity on a Plusnet or Other Router -Is this Possible?

Fix
Bandwidth can be allocated on a device or application basis using QoS.
However you will need router that supports it and that puts you in the realm of professional SME routers from the likes of Draytek, Asus etc
Most TP LINK routers support QoS in some way.

ISP supplied routers are unlikely to provide you with configurable QoS other than IPTV and Voip priority at most.
HTH
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
declan88

Re: Allocation of Broadband Capacity on a Plusnet or Other Router -Is this Possible?

Thanks very much.  That's a very useful reply.  This problem's been bugging me for ages.  I'll see if I can find an affordable QoS router.  Much appreciated.  Hopefully the thing'll be easy to configure.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

There is a Linux based product called Smoothwall (not the commercial product of the same name)
See https://www.smoothwall.org/
This runs on Linux based PC with more than one network port. One acts as "in" the other "out". Its a firewall solution but you can do other stuff with it as well.
A read of the manual would be good . I used one to control and time internet access to my sons when they were younger. It initialy controlled a dial up modem and later an ADSL one.
Worked well but does need some Geek-ness to set it up.
🙂