cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Albums to CD

valart
Grafter

Albums to CD

I am not sure which forum deals with this but here goes.I have so many wonderful record albums and I would like to put them on CDs my computer does not have a cd writer or a burner,I noticed that you can buy a record player with burner inside,the idea would be to download them onto my ipod.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Albums to CD

I assume you are talking about something like this http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/09/03/ion-lp2-cd-offers-pc-free-vinyl-to-cd-conversion/ ; although if you are going to add the results to your ipod wouldn't a simple turntable with a usb output do as well as you could then store them on your PC then transfer them to your ipod. Note that AFAIK a standard audio CD won't play on an ipod
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Sounds like you need something like Maplin sell a USBed interface turntable. Lets you play your album on it  and it records it as an mp3. Around £50 from http://Maplin.co.uk
I did all this about 15 years ago, using a decient turntable, amp and the line input of my SoundBlaster card. Also transfered a load of cassettes the same way.
Manually cutting the tracks and naming them was laborious....
Be3G
Grafter

I should caution that I've heard the sound quality of the USB turntables can be quite dire.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: valart
I am not sure which forum deals with this but here goes.I have so many wonderful record albums and I would like to put them on CDs my computer does not have a cd writer or a burner,I noticed that you can buy a record player with burner inside,the idea would be to download them onto my ipod.

If you are using an ipod or similar mp3 player, you don't need CD's.
You just need to store your audio in a high quality format (on your hard disk) - this can then be converted into mp3 format.
Is it possible to use the aux output of your hi-fi to feed into your sound input socket on your sound card?
Then use some recorder software to create a large file for conversion to mp3.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I should caution that I've heard the sound quality of the USB turntables can be quite dire.

Agreed.
I returned a Veho Music Lab USB Turntable to Amazon last year as it proved to be no more than a toy.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have experience of these turntables, I was just suggesting it as an "easy option" tm. As I said I did this a long time ago using the line in.
I believe poppy has done something similar recently, you may want to ask her.
The hardest part is splitting an album in to songs I found. It is easier to record one side and use something like audacity to convert it by splitting rather than doing individual tracks. Just takes time and effort.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

I was originally transferring my albums using the line in method, first using Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition, then Nero Wave Editor and finally Audacity. But my decent quality (but ageing) record deck gave up on me before I had completed the transfer (yes it is very time consuming) and the Veho at about £50 seemed a reasonable option to complete the job, because to spend £80-100 on a better quality USB deck would have been more expensive for me than paying to download all the tracks I wanted to transfer!
But it proved a false economy. The Veho deck had a tiny motor which fluttered so much it produced an output which was almost unrecognisable from the original. My albums are now all gone, donated to a charity shop before I moved home, and I still haven't got round to downloading a single track since Roll_eyes
mentalist3d
Grafter

To save time on some of the work involved, I would download and install something like BitTorrent and then find a Torrent Search Engine, and download your albums for free. Probably not all your albums will be available, but some will be, cutting down on the work you need to do. As for copyright issues, unless it has changed, you are legally allowed to retain a copy of files you have legally purchased, so downloading albums you own is not illegal (sharing them is though). Most of my vinyl is now in digital format, thanks to this method Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star

This is a very grey area in the UK. In the US they are allowed to make a digital copy, here we are not. You are not prosecuted for making a mp3 copy of an album you already have (although if they thought they could get away with it they would try Crazy) The issue of "home taping" has been around since the advent of personal cassette recorders, where you can "easily" make a copy of any album/radio show. The copyright restricions in the UK don't allow you to do this, but because it has been uncharged for 30+ years it is considered "allowable" by the police. There was a resurgence a few years ago when car mp3 head units became popular, and you could put allot of music on an mp3 album. The music companies tried to make us BUY an other copy of the music, of course we all said go take a jump.
It is a bit like the Video->Dvd->Blue Ray. I bought a lot of Dvd copies of Video's I already owned but no way am I going down the BR route and re-purchasing them.