Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After boot lockup on xp

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

After boot lockup on xp

I'm in the middle of setting up a network for work so I guess I'll be hanging about here for a while over the next few days  Smiley
The networks set up and running ok, My first major problem is with the second desktop added to the network. I have spent the last two days doing a clean xp install downloading and installing drivers etc and adding all my work from the other PC.
Now the PC boots up NP but then locks up as the apps load  Sad I have installed some software today but stuff I have had before.
So far I have tried.....
Disconnection from the network to make sure its this PC
Removing anything from startup that doesn't need to be there
I've even tried system restore which hasn't helped.
The PC runs without problems in safe mode so I'm guessing its something thats loading in with windows the next move will have to be back tracking in safe mode and uninstalling things until I can find which is causing the problem.
Anybody got any suggestions,would trying a repair install with the xp disc help or is there any way of finding out the problem without uninstalling too much.
TBH I could really do without having to start again as I've lost two days getting all my stuff across onto this pc.
5 REPLIES 5
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: After boot lockup on xp

Update
The PC seems to work fine when I f8 and boot up using last known good configuration,doing some AV and malware scans at the moment any ideas how to find which driver is causing problems on boot?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The only way I can think would be to uninstall devices one by one when in safe mode then reboot and see if you still get the error. I suspect you'll find it's the display drivers to be honest, so start there. They should reinstall themselves when you boot back into windows proper which ought to resolve the problem.
Hope that helps,
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Orbey that was one of the things I've tried today aswell as a few other drivers. Unfortunately some drivers and apps are unable to be removed while in safe mode I got the video drivers off though.
I came across this while looking for answers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270 it appears to have the exact same symptoms as me at the moment. The pc hangs just after boot as my settings are loading in, the pc is networked with another which also has my old admin account on which would explain why the problems started after it was added to the network( I set it up on its own/updates/AV before adding to the network)
Has anyone came across this before? for anyone not checking the link its pretty much saying that if the Admins don't have sufficient rights on the NTFS file system it can cause the same probs as me.
I have probs on my Admin account on the other PC, the page file probs etc are the same and the pc once over its hang time runs ok and np while in safe mode, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think it is pretty unlikely your problem was to do with the paging file.  You can test this by booting into Safe Mode and changing the size of the paging file.  If you are able to do this then the problem is not the one you think it is. 
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the input I managed to sort it out sort of  Embarrassed I tried the fix from the Windows link I posted which did nothing except lose all the data from my network folders. Cry
In my rage with losing work time setting up this PC I just went clean Install of XP which wasn't as bad this time as I already had most of the updates and software downloaded to a pen drive. Set up with bare minimum apps everything was running smooth again then last night I came across things in the Comodo forums with the same problem http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/virtual_memory_too_low-t4...
It would appear that this app which I had installed caused the problem, even after removing it it leaves a service running that still eats the memory  Angry Big lesson learnt there.
Don't get me wrong the other Comodo products particularly internet security as a free app is second to none  IMO and I have it running prob free on four of my systems I just caught this release of Reg cleaner before it had been really tested Embarrassed and due to trusting their products assumed it would be ok.
Thanks again for your input and particularly big thanks to http://www.piriform.com/ whose three free apps I will continue to use until Comodo gets their cleaner stable(sounds dumb I know but its a bit deeper than cc cleaner with a nive interface)
Piriform's defrag and cleaner have been keeping my systems running sweet for years and the recovery app which I'd never tried before now saved my life regarding the lost network folder, I have donated for this.