cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on static ip addresses

Jinx13
Dabbler

Advice on static ip addresses

Hello, I'm trying to setup a web server at home.
I've got a static ip address from plusnet and configured my router and I can access my server fine.
My question is about domain pointing. In the settings of my router it has a section about dns  and has a primary dns and a secondary dns ip.
1st is that so I can point my domain? And second how can I use them as nameservers  for my domain provider?
Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Advice on static ip addresses

The nameserver entries in your router allow you to specify which servers perform DNS lookups for the machines on your network - They have nothing to do with the nameservers for your domain,
Your domain provider will have arrangements for specifying the nameservers for your domain, in all likelihood using their own servers by default.
Jinx13
Dabbler

Thank you for the clarification.
So does that mean I cannot set my own nameservers for my home web server for my domain to point to?
I know I can change my A records to my public IP but I wanted to create custom nameservers Smiley
Thank you for the fast reply
pwatson
Rising Star

I'm not entirely sure what you want to do?  Do you already have a domain you wish to use?  If so, you need to use the tools provided by your domain host to update the DNS records to point at your IP address.  You'll probably want an A record for the domain name and a CNAME record for www
If you want to run your own nameservers to host the records for your domain you'll need run BIND (or something similar) somewhere and get your domain registrar to update the NS records for your domain.  I don't recommend you go down this route!
Jinx13
Dabbler

Quote from: pwatson
If you want to run your own nameservers to host the records for your domain you'll need run BIND (or something similar) somewhere and get your domain registrar to update the NS records for your domain.  I don't recommend you go down this route!

This is probable my situation, and I have heard of bind so I need to look into that a little more Smiley
Why do you not recommend that route out of interest?
Thanks again
pwatson
Rising Star

If you want to experiment then running your own nameserver(s) is OK, but there's a fair amount of config involved to get them working well and securely.  Depending on who your registrar is, I'd expect you to be able to make any changes you need on their servers which means you benefit from their scale and experience as well as the setup being more reliable.
Should you go down the route of your own server, make sure it's secure and have fun playing Smiley
HTH
Peter