cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on graphics cards please

waldron
Grafter

Advice on graphics cards please

I was going to use an Xpert Vision 8600 GT Super 1GB graphics card with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 motherboard. However, I have now spotted the Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe motherboard which apparently has onboard graphics supported by a GeForce® 8 Series GPU. The cost of each solution is similar – in the region of £150 - £160.
The question is whether I would be better with the higher spec motherboard, or with a separate graphics card. I intend to connect the pc to the television to view home movies and jpgs. Or is there a better solution for a similar price.
Any advice would be welcome.
3 REPLIES 3
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Advice on graphics cards please

I would suggest that unless you are doing really intensive graphics work like running the latest games or creating 3D animations both these options are overkill. You don't need much graphics power to view movies or edit photos. For comparison I can do both quite happily with a Matrox G450 with 32MB - about £15 from ebay!
waldron
Grafter

@Denzil.
Thanks, I didn't realise that. In which case, I wonder if I could use an existing 'old' pc, which has an Asus A7V600X motherboard and an MSI GeForce FX5700LE graphics card?
Denzil
Grafter

Should be fine. As long as you have a reasonable amount of memory and keep it tidy i.e. run <a href="http://www.ccleaner.com">CCleaner</a>, defrag from time to time etc.  The motherboard is similar to mine, only I have a Socket A Biostar board in a small case.