cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on corporate AV solutions

Not applicable

Advice on corporate AV solutions

Hi,
I'm wondering if anybody has any experience of corporate AV and AS solutions.
I run an entirely M$ network, 55 clients (running XP Pro or Win 2K Pro) and 9 servers (running Server 2k, Server 2k3 R2 and a NAS running Server 2k3 Storage Server)
Mail is run on Exchange Server Enterprise (2k ATM, in process of upgrading to 2k3)
Historically I have used McAfee Groupshield, which I hated.
We currently run Sophos Puremessage (AS) and Sophos AV (6.5).
Sophos is due for renewal, which would incorporate an upgrade to their new product line, Endpoint and Email security at a cost of c£2500
I've been offered Kapersky Space Security as an alternative, which is only c£1400.
Any reasons not to go with Kapersky?
Any experience of using/installing/administering either solution?
Is there something else that you think I should consider?
Sophos has been OK for the last couple of years, although the SPAM interface is rubbish. Perhaps this has been improved in the new product line?
Anything I need to watch out for/be aware of with either product line?
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Advice on corporate AV solutions

Have you considered trend - client server messaging security for SMB
We use this almost exclusively with all our clients (just changed one yesterday from Symantec). Has very good interfaces, runs on win2K win2k3 and supports exchange and has both server and client versions (clients installed from server).
Has A/V A/S products
samuria
Grafter

You could consider Deep Freeze from
http://www.faronics.com/html/library.asp
Its not a av but you install it and it doesnt matter what you do if there is a fault like a virus etc reboot and its fixed.
See there demo on the web its fantastic it cut our support calls by 90% as there is nothing to go wrong get an idiot deleting the windows dir and reboot and it works fine.
With it you dont need av as if it does get infected reboot and its ok again.
It speeds up the pc as there is no Av/spyware  running reduce network resources download av updates and once installed there is nothing to do
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That won't help on the server though so you are better going for a fully centrally managed solution.
Also if the client did happen to get a virus and they access network drives it could result in damaged / lost company data if no virus protection exists on the clients. Not a situation I would be happy to allow.
paulby
Grafter

Have you looked at Eset's NOD32 solutions? 
They seem to be scalable and the Enterprise edition offers central management.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Yep I totally agree with Peter, DF won't do the network any favours on its own. Propegation could/would lead to much larger-scale problems on the network and a lot of damage could be done. I'd only use DF as a supplement to an AV, and only really to stop people mucking up the machines/doing things they shouldn't be which could cause problems for others (or themselves).
samuria
Grafter

DF works great without Av but you do need it on critical machines like servers but thats all you need as if it hits a pc it then its gone on reboot and no files are damaged. The only files that can be damaged are on servers which have the AV on.
The performance gain on the pc's can be fantastic and support calls reduction make it well worth a go.
MS have a tool that does the same thing for free but I have never tried it
alkatraz
Dabbler

If you can afford it - Kaspersky currently has the best scanning engine on the market, but it costs.
fceluk
Grafter

I currently run F-Secure Small Business Suite for 25 clients.
It cost about £630 and 'protects' the file server, exchange server, internet and clients.
Centrally managed and seems to work fine.
Not the most integrated of packages I have come across but once installed and configured...it works.
Previously had McAfee but test reports downrate it compared to F-Secure.
Would have definitely gone for Kaspersky if the budget stretched that far...but....the accountant speaks and we obey.