Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

bigshorty40
Grafter

Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

Hi All

I'd like some advice on a query I have regarding changing my network setup, and hoping some of you might be able able to help.

I'm currently using the Plusnet Hub One, but I'd like to experiment with having a separate modem and separate router configuration, so I'm able to mess about with router settings without upsetting the sync between the modem and my internet connection.

Thing is I've heard that when you change a setup that requires you to disconnect from your internet connection, that the DLM, ISP, or whatever, can consider this as a disconnection and can cause a drop in download / upload speeds. With past experience, and doing this with my last ISP, I've noticed this to be the case. I've also heard that to avoid this disconnection error and drop in speeds that a certain amount of time must be left before connecting the modem / router back up to the phone socket / internet connection, I was told by someone to wait at least 10 minutes.

Can any of you guys please explain to me if this statement is true or not, and if so, how long I should wait before I connect my equipment back to my internet connection after making any changes?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

My understanding is that what you have been told is true for the 'up to 8 meg' ADSL service but is not, I think, true for the equipment providing ADSL2+ in a 21CN exchange.  But this is really a question about Broadband or Fibre Broadband so would be better addressed to those boards.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Advice needed with changing home network hardware configuration

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Topic locked in favour of https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Advice-needed-with-changing-home-network-hardware-conf...

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine