cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed to add a Linksys WRT54GL to Bt210 Voyager in network

zoomclub
Grafter

Advice needed to add a Linksys WRT54GL to Bt210 Voyager in network

My 1st attempt at networking, So please excuse any glaring incorrect terminology or just plain dumbness on my part - I am gettin' a bit confuzzled re IP addresses and using DHCP - or a static address to try and set up a basic home n/w with the following components-
Desktop PC - WinXP SP3 with onboard LAN -
Laptop Vista Home Premium SP2 - onboard Wireless card/chipset
The trusty olde BT210 Voyager ADSL modem/router to provide shared internet access
A Linksys WRT54GL Wireless 4 port router (no onboard modem) - to allow the 2 PC's to share internet access, files and printer.
So far I've got the desktop connected via e/net cable to 1 of the 4 e/net ports on the linksys, the internet ports of linksys connected to the 1 e/net port on the BT210.
Although I can access the linksys webgui and configure it all ok, and it responds to pings sent from the desktop I can't actually view any webpages or d/l email etc.
Just not sure whether enabling DHCP - as it is at the moment - should sort out the IP Address situation - obvious problem is that both the BT210 and the linksys both have the std default IP addy of 192.168.1.1 - so presumably I need to change 1 of them to a diff IP within the range of the other........ Cheesy -
I know this must be a fairly common situation, but haven't really found anything in the help or FAQ's which really seemed to nail it - Not sure, but I guess I'm going to be effectively creating one wired n/w and one wireless n/w and then figure out how to get them to comm with each other.
When I try to use the laptop to setup a wireless router it take me to manual config,and then the setup page for the BT210 - not the linksys - both the desktop and laptop TCP/IP are set to DHCP enabled - but am guessing I maybe need to setup 1 or 2? static ip addys and give each device its own ip add?
Just to make things worse I'm trying to do this in a bit of a rush 'cos I'm being sent to the land of barren internet comms - also known as an NHS Hospital next week, and really want to have this setup at my parents house when for when I esacpe so my recuperation wont be added to by having the lack of internet access/file sharing etc dt's......... Roll_eyes
Many thanks for any advice - or pointers to the relevant stuff that I need to get the settings right for this to work - Only just bought the laptop, so Vista is a new world to ;me as well (& I think I def' prefer XP from what I've seen so far!)
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: Advice needed to add a Linksys WRT54GL to Bt210 Voyager in network

Its a bit hard to follow so do one bit at a time you cant have both routers on the same ip so the one that connect to the Internet  leave as 192.168.1.1  set the other one WRT54G to 192.168.1.2.
Turn off DHCP on the BT210 Voyager.
Turn on dhcp on the wrt54g as the wireless will pick this up set the range to 192.168.1.4-192.168.1.20.
It should then work i fit doesnt try setting one up manually with a fixed ip of 192.168.1.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.1
Report back how you get on. Try from the desktop pinging the BT210 and the wrt54g and see if you get  a reply ok
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think you might find it simpler just to set the 210 into Bridge mode as in this post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055538576
That way the 210 is really just acting as an ADSL modem and all the routing,DHCP etc is done by the WRT54 and there is much less confusion.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Another wrinkle, is that if you disable the dhcp on the 210 you will need to setup ALL the options in the WRG, i.e. Default gateway (the BT210) DNS servers (what ever the 210 used to dish out).
Not a big one but by default it will put itself as the default g/w and you will not get any internet access.
I use one of these in a similar manor and it is easier to use the dhcp pass though option, then leave the 210 dishing out the ip addresses, you can also set the WRG to dhcp so it picks up an ip from the 210.
(NB I use the OpenWRT firmware so it may have different options to the default)