cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed re forum administration

chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Advice needed re forum administration

A couple more to add to Barry's suggestions.
Don't delete posts, move them to a private board. That way you have a record, and can reinstate them if necessary. (Don't give the moderators delete permissions or they may run a mock!!!)
Keep a record of all PM's to users.

The key to Moderation is moderation.
Also ban Full quotes of the preceding post! (Pet hate)
PS, The Moderators on this forum can not read other users PM's.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): pot kettle black!]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for some one who hates a full quote and an ex mod to just do it  Grin Grin Grin
Be3G
Grafter

Haha. Cheesy Think I'd best do a bit of editing...
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I think that the business of having it open or not is down to the subject/type of forum. I can't really have this one open because I suspect that it will be spammed by the trade right from the word go and if anything will stop people using the facility it woud be that. Also, it would be more work for us to remove posts (maybe). However, it would be worth discussing it with others when we have a team.

But why not make the forum at least visible without registration? I have, as far as I can recall, never once joined a forum that I've not been able to view first - reason being that I've not felt it worth the effort (and handing over of my details) for something of which I have no idea if it'll be any good. You need to have something visible to entice users to your forum, and that 'something' is the forum itself.
Also, for what it's worth, some forum software has a feature that allows you to pre-moderate all posts - in other words, you have to approve every post before it's visible to the site. The approval process is normally very quick. And whilst I can't say this for certain, I also suspect that forum software has the ability to define when to use the pre-moderation... e.g. perhaps it might be possible to set it to something like 'only pre-moderate if the user has fewer than ten approved posts'. Which could be quite useful if you want to weed out spammers but without going to too much effort/
Quote from: poppy
I am not sure that I can envisage unexpected situations so if you have any examples, please let me know.

Just have a look at the rules that we have here for some ideas.
Quote from: Barry
Don't be afraid to amend your rules based upon past history.  If a particular incident isn't specifically catered for in your forum rules, consider adding a clause.  However, don't try to 'legislate' everything that happens.   Allow a 'mods decision is final' type clause - but use it as little as possible!

I'm going to counter you slightly on this one Barry: in my opinion it is a good idea to 'legislate' for the vast majority of happenings for one very simple reason: consistency. It's something I've noticed has slipped somewhat on these forums actually over the course of the four years that I haven't been moderating at PN: 'back in the day' we tried as hard as possible to make sure we applied the same process to each instance of an incident, which was aided by the clear guidelines we had in place. These days however, things are more relaxed with different moderators taking their own approach. On the one hand, the relaxed attitude might seem quite pleasant; on the other, users when they want to be annoying will pick at any inconsistencies they find (e.g. 'why did you do this to me when you didn't do it to them'), so inconsistency in moderation can lead to difficult situations.
Not applicable

But why not make the forum at least visible without registration?

Have just checked the forum that I am modelling mine on and they have parts of it visible - mainly related to the rules plus educational sections (stickies at the top of the relevant forum). The front page outlining the structure of the forum is visible. The actual discussions are hidden. It was enough to tempt me to join so you have a point Be.
Pre-moderation is something that has totally passed me by so this is a good point to bear in mind.
With regards to the rules I spent a few hours last night looking at our Plusnet ones and they have given me a good base for formulating my own.
There is definitely a clear structure now so I am almost ready to pass it through to the excellent people who have volunteered to moderate/advise. The template is on the server so we can log in. I am going to ask if we can now use it for posting between ourselves so we all know what it going on and can make suggestions.
You have all given me lots of good advice and I am getting a feel for the thing now. Thank you for your help and time.  Smiley
chillypenguin
Grafter

As Thomas alluded there are a set of guidelines that go with the forum rules, they where posted in the public part of the forums a while back. But I am sure that one of the current moderators would PM you a copy.
I also think that unless your forums can be read (at least in part) without being registered, you will get few people signing up.
Slight change of subject, but one forum I joined recently, would not let you post until you had posted in a introduction board.
Not applicable

Hello all. As you were all so kind in offering advice regarding my forum idea, I thought that I would just update you all in case you are interested in the use that I have made of said advice.
My forum (Cairn Terrier Talk) is 'officially' open on 1st December 2009 although we have accepted new members and a few more people have joined with the specific intention of not only joining in but helping me with advisory stickies and such like.
It has been a tremendous learning curve and only last week I felt like downing tools as I didn't think that I would ever cope with it.
I am getting to grips with the admin side and am amazed at the kindness of strangers - particularly one lady who has given up time to get me started in this area.
It is still very much work in progress and we shall see where it goes.
If it is not successful then I am prepared for that but I really hope that it will be and I am spurred on by the aforementioned lady who has been my mentor and inspiration. She has owned and run what is now a 'big sister' site to my own for the past 5 years and it is very well used.
The subject won't interest you guys but just want you all to know that 'it's good to talk'!  Smiley
Thank you.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Good Luck to you, and all who sail in her !... well , you know what I mean... Best wishes for a successful forum/website  Smiley