cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed re New computer

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Advice needed re New computer

I am upgrading my tower as i have a good speaker system and a 19 Flat screen so i have been looking around and need some of your experts advice. I need a machine capable of a good memory than can cope with more than one task at a time a good gaming machine that can eat COD4 i know i will probably have to upgrade the graphics card but i have come across this deal and just wondered if it is a good deal or not
Click  here
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
PS as this doesnt have an OS can i just whip out my curent HD and install it in this machine  Many Thanks in advance
[Moderator's note by Barry Zubel: linkified URL as it was causing the forums to stretch]
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Advice needed re New computer

As far as I can tell this company are only just moving into the supply of computers so I have no idea as to their after sales support. However they are on the Hexus care forum http://forums.hexus.net/bigpockets-care-hexus/ which is a good sign.
But the lead post by them is very honest and states
Greetings from everyone at Bigpockets.
We hope to serve you well and offer you some great deals.
For anyone that does not know our company here is a little background.
Formed in 1998, we started out from a management buy out from a company called TAMBRA.
Tambra was an asset management company that also built new pc's for trade back in the 90's, once described by Sir Peter Rigby of SCC and ECS Group as the Enoch and Ali of computer builders, as we where based in the Black Country, West Midlands.
We were offered an opportunity in 2000 to distribute blank CDR (no DVD at this point) and thought why not, as we could sell our asset managements used pc's and high street returns at the same time. Little did we know.
It basically went manic for 3 years at its peak supplying into Europe over 1 million discs a month.
The Pc's and electrical goods were long forgotten or so we thought. DVD came a long and we enjoyed the same spoils, but as with everything, things change.
We had fortunately kept in touch with the major high street stores who we acted for years ago and are now back re marketing there overstocks and non used returns etc. So as well as offering a large range of Blank media we look forward to giving you the heads up on all new stuff as it arrives..
I wouldn't buy from them but that may be pure prejudice
just seen your last question - answer is no you can't it won't work as the OEM license it came with won't let you do it
fakesnake
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim

just seen your last question - answer is no you can't it won't work as the OEM license it came with won't let you do it

the op does not say say what type of licence they have ,it will need a reinstall as the motherboard etc will not be the same.
and no i would not buy from them either.
samuria
Grafter

I Got this one
Its twice the spec for very little extra and a cracking pc. They have a few on their ebay site and they go like s off a shovel
[Moderator's note by Barry Zubel: URL linkified to stop forum from stretching]
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

OK.. Thanks.. food for thought Interesting. I am a bit dubious about buying from e-bay in case of problems but i like the machine anyone got any other recommendations for a good pc
Thanks
samuria
Grafter

The pc I got is local to me so there is no problems buying from them they have good feedback and the product is good with good quality components. If you pay by paypal you have added protection so there is very little risk
The_10th
Grafter

Are you comfortable with the idea of upgrading your current PC and save on the case/DVD drives at least?
Like samurai said, a Quad 6600 (pref G0 stepping if overclocking) will fly. If hard pressed look for a Dual E6750 as a cheaper alternative (£115 from Komplett).
DDR2 Ram is quite cheap now and you can get OCZ gold (very decent brand) 4GB for £62.
Food for thought or just to confuse  ;).
An 8800GT is prob the GFX card you would need to consider for COD4.
HTH
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately i have a dreaded Dell machine that are notorious for upgrading issues (they dont tell you that when you buy one)So i am afraid a new machine is the only option i think i will plump for the
one recommended by Samuria Many Thanks
samuria
Grafter

Mine is a great pc for the price but as a tip fit a large fan in the back of the case. I did and it dropped the cpu temp by 10 degrees it doesnt overheat as it comes as it has a big cpu fan and 2 case fans but the big one seemed to make all the difference the cpu runs at 30 even under heavy load