cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on power adapter

JamesM
Grafter

Advice needed on power adapter

I have been given a BTHH2 but the power adaptor makes a high pitched noise which I am concerned about leaving plugged in 24 hours a day. I have a Thomson 585v7 power adaptor which fits the BTHH2 but the BTHH2 is 15v / 1.2A, and the Thomson power adaptor is 22V / 545mA. I have plugged the Thomson adaptor into the BTHH2 and it all lights up, but I am wondering is it safe to use a 22V adaptor on a 15V router.
Thanks for reading.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Advice needed on power adapter

If you are happy with the idea that it is likely it will only work for a short time before it fails go ahead! You've probably already shortened it's life by trying it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

Personally (coming from an electronics engineer of 20+ years) I wouldn't use it.
The extra voltage has to go somewhere and it is normally wasted as heat so you could run the risk of overheating the unit.
Any PSU input capacitors may not be rated up to the higher voltage either so you run the risk of frying those too.
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks picbits, I was hoping someone with an electronics background would give me a sensible answer. My sister has switched to SKY and has a BTHH3, I might see if I can get that off her.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doing a quick search on eBay -
BT home hub 2 (power, psu, adaptor, adapter)

shows that you should be able to pick up a replacement Home Hub PSU for £4 to £7, including P&P.
dragon2611
Grafter

Might be worth giving someone like CPC/Farnel or RS components a try..
After seeing EV blogs tear down of a cheap phone charger it's really put me off buying power supplys off places like ebay.

-b9k-0KfE
adagio
Grafter

You might find something suitable here. http://www.digidave.co.uk/jshop/section.php?xSec=24&xPage=1&jssCart=0ae3610e4a1a4cd1a91631f4a7b45d1a
I bought a replacement PS for a BT Business Hub from him.