cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on WiFi Router.

Javert
Grafter

Advice needed on WiFi Router.

Need to replace my elderly Netgear G834G Router - have perused pages of routers and am now very confused.com!  I would prefer it to be another Netgear (tho’ not essential) - but: a) it needs to be Wi-Fi, b) it has to be vertical standing (very limited space), and c) have a built-in modem.  One further comment . . . I’m not very computer-literate!  Cheesy
Any advice would be gratefully received.
7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Advice needed on WiFi Router.

I just got a cisco x3000 which is pretty cool and would meet all of your requirements.
It has gigabit lan, wifi (which doesn't drop out - i can transfer GB of files using it), modem / router / switch, wpa, wpa2, wep etc, usb socket so you can plug in a usb drive (flash / spinning hdd) and share it, built in ftp for the external drive, firewall, upnp.. the list is pretty endless.
The only down side is that its not free standing BUT it can be wall mounted instead. If you don't mind that then this is a pretty decent router. On the other hand, if you don't want wall mounted, then disregard the rest of this post!
Here is a pic:

No antennas was a bit weird for me and not very convincing about the wifi but I've got to give it credit where its due, it does work a lot better than my old edimax router. It cost about £95 - most expensive router we've had yet but its quality seems to be a lot better than all of our previous routers. I can even watch BBC iplayer on the Nintendo wii again!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This one maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-N-Router-Modem-DGN2200/dp/B002ZRUENO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid... ?
In the past I have found Cisco/Linksys routers to be short-lived.  Netgear routers are generally good although Netgear does seem to have produced the odd duff model lately. 
7up
Community Veteran

I had a netgear a couple of years back.. it lived just short of a month  Crazy
I binned it when it got to the point of rebooting every 10 mins.
I refuse to touch belkin on a point of principle. I bought a PCMCIA card made by them years ago and sold under a different brand. It simply didn't work out of the box and they made no secret of the fact that they made it either. I've refused to look at belkin since.
Javert
Grafter

Thanks guys for the info . . . will be investing further on them - the Cisco looks intriguing!  Will report back later. Sprite - think it's the "luck of the drawer" - I've had my current Netgear for about 8 years and it's predecessor for around years.  It's interesting looking at reviews on Amazon, for example, and seeing many 5* ratings and a few 1* as the "biggest load of rubbish"!  Makes you wonder how there can be such big differences.
Thanks again.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

As I fix computers and computer equipment for a living, I see more than my fair share of faulty routers.  I have a Netgear DGN200 in the workshop that only lasted a couple of years before the modem began to play up but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.  The last faulty Linksys/Cisco router I remember suffered from pernicious amnesia and would reset itself to factory settings (with no login credentials) every few weeks.       
7up
Community Veteran

If this cisco does decide to go down the same path / fate as the previous ones then I'll be really annoyed to be honest. It's the most expensive router we've had so far. It never ceases to amaze me that a full blown computer with all of its complexity can last for years (even without a windows reinstall if you're not too sloppy) and yet a router can pack up after a few months - with just a board and microchips to go wrong.
Still, at least if it does go wrong I'll have my reason to go mini-itx (frankly I should of done so years ago and got it out of my unstarted / unfinished project list).
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

For those who want to get an understanding of 802.11n there are some videos here: http://www.merunetworks.com/resources/resources.html ; A bit techie for a domestic environment, but give you a feel for what is involved. As more people connect with fibre broadband it becomes more relevant.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.