Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed for new computer

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Advice needed for new computer

The point is that the original computer is a Dell which has an OEM license.
An OEM license basically doesn't allow you to change anything specially the motherboard whereas a full license is much more forgiving.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yes but the licence doesn't specifically mean the Operating system itself won't allow it. The licence is in effect a contract. The OS is software. Just because one doesn't allow it doesn't mean the other won't.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unfortunately when Windows starts it checks a couple of files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" against the hardware configuration and if they don't match within certain limits  it gets very unhappy and requires reactivation. With a normal XP license it is fairly forgiving but with an OEM license it isn't and a new motherboard is not accepted. If the motherboard fails and has been replaced with a different model phoning Microsoft will usually work but in this case it is a new motherboard and processor (as a minimum) and it won't be allowed. Have a read of this http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4004
Also note the part about bios locked license
1) an OEM version created by a system manufacturer. These copies are usually "BIOS-locked", and can only be used on the exact machine they were created for.
which is almost certain what the OP has got
Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Yep your right it is a Dell and i have no doubt it is locked as you say.
So if i bought another copy of XP for the new machine would i be able to  transfer all my programmes without having to re-install them
Thanks for the input to date
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I am not sure.
The reason is that when I have tried doing something similar XP looks at what is there and blithely announces that the install disk (i.e. license) doesn't match the installed package.
Edit - now this might solve the problems if you can link the two computers http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
techguy
Grafter

Oldjim is 100% correct as even in the highly unlikely event (and I'm talking lottery odds here) you get it to work, reactivation will fail so it'll be useless (MS are constantly tweaking their activation routines so the chances any cracks you find will be rendered useless when you try to apply updates (practically all updates now require online validation)
You have been warned!