cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads on Trip Advisor forums

coastergrotto
Grafter

Ads on Trip Advisor forums

Since Trip Advisor launched their new format last week, ads are starting to appear on the various forums between posts #5 and 6 on a thread.    I seem to be the only person, to my knowledge, that is not seeing these annoying ads.  I'm running IE8 and both of my two laptops block these ads whether I am connecting at home on my Plusnet connection or away from home, as I am now, on a Virgin ISP.
I am told that if you run Firefox with Adblock Plus it blocks out the ads.  I have downloaded Firefox, without Adblock Plus, and lo and behold I now see these adverts.  When swiching back to IE8 they are no longer there.    I thought it must have been something in the set up of my computer that is blocking them.    In Firefox, once I removed the option to allow third party cookies they appeared to stop showing, so I altered my cookie setting in IE8 in an attempt to get the ads to show, but they didn't.    I have the Override automatic cookie handling boxed ticked, and I also block first and third party cookies, but allow session cookies.  I thought that might be the reason I wasn't seeing these ads but, as I said, when I allowed first and third party cookies and allowed automatic cookie handling they still didn't show.  Admittedly I only tried for a few minutes before switching back to my normal settings.
Can anyone throw any light as to why I, fortunately, do not see these ads?