Adobe - piracy or is it

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/08/free_adobe_cs2_download/
Trying the download of Acrobat and Acrobat Pro - I wonder how it will work
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Adobe - piracy or is it

Two things. You need an existing licence and it is MAC (ppc) Only.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two things -
You may be supposed to need an existing license but in fact you don't as it includes the serial number on the download page and it doesn't require a check as the CS2 validation servers have been shut down
The downloads are for Mac and Windows
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html
Mav
Fixes: 514

Site was down most (if not all) of yesterday so good to see it back up today.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HairyMcbiker
All Star

From the reg:-
What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software,

You should already have a licence to use it, they give you a s/n not a licence.
2nd I didn't check the mac version, it is ppc not intel mack, but as you say the pc version is there. (again I didn't check it as I don't use are Adobe s/w or M$ OS's)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The point is that if there aren't any activation servers then you can't activate which is why the new serial numbers don't require activation
Now the interesting point is if I need to reinstall CS2 and I use my existing license key will it just fail to work
kmilburn
Grafter

A recent posting on Slashdot..
[quote=http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/01/08/1648227/adobes-strange-software-giveaway-goof-or-clever-marketing]
Yesterday, Adobe put up a mysterious webpage from which its now seven-year-old CS2 line of products (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Premiere and others) could be freely downloaded by anyone. The page even included valid serial numbers that will unlock the CS2 apps for anyone who wants to. This strange 'giveaways' page at Adobe.com quickly went viral on the internet after a few tech bloggers reported on it. An Adobe spokesman said initially that the CS2 downloads are for existing owners of Adobe CS2 software only, who may not be able to activate their software anymore, due to the CS2 activation servers having been shut down by Adobe. But the internet at large took this webpage as meaning 'Free Adobe CS2 Software for Everyone,' which was probably not what Adobe had in mind. It seems that at this point, hundreds of thousands of people have downloaded their 'free' CS2 products and installed them, and started using them. So Adobe is in a bit of a PR pinch now because of this — Do you tell all the thousands of people who have downloaded CS2 products in the last 48 hours that 'you cannot use these products without paying us'? Or do you accept that hundreds of thousands of people now have free access to seven year old Adobe CS2 products, and try to encourage some of them to 'upgrade to the new CS6 products'?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

@Jim I am not saying that you don't have a licence, but the unwashed public that have d/led it will probably not.
I don't mind licences as long as they are lifetime ones. I had a lifetime licence for winzip (from when it was v2 I think, back in the late 80's) but with v12 or 13 they changed the licence to say it was no longer lifetime  Angry Needless to say I didn't upgrade my lifetime licence with them.
This rental of s/w is annoying, you buy a copy then 6 months later a new version comes out, and the upgrade (charge) fee is nearly the same again Crazy
Free s/w is they way to go. Gimp will beat CS2 anyway.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Free s/w is they way to go. Gimp will beat CS2 anyway.

But PhotoPosPro is better than Gimp....and it is free..... looks like photoshop...
http://photo-pos-pro.en.softonic.com/
Razer
Grafter

Does it function like Photoshop? I tried Gimp once and was lost with it.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

It is very powerful.... need some time to get used to it... but read the words on the linky.... download it, and see for your self...  Wink
Razer
Grafter

Bookmarked. Thanks.