Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe exploits

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Adobe exploits

Hi All
[quote="Report: Malicious PDF files comprised 80 percent of all exploits for 2009"]
A newly released report shows that based on more than a trillion Web requests processed in 2009, the use of malicious PDF files exploiting flaws in Adobe Reader/Adobe Acrobat not only outpaced the use of Flash exploits, but also, grew to 80% of all exploits the company encountered throughout the year.
Are the flaws in Adobe’s product line becoming the cybercriminal’s favorite exploitation tactic? Depends, since from another perspective malicious attackers don’t have preferences, they exploit whatever is exploitable.

If I was you I would dump Adobe’s products I have, I have removed all Adobe’s products from my Computers.
24 REPLIES 24
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: Adobe exploits

Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat  Release date: February 16, 2010
SUMMARY
A critical vulnerability has been identified in Adobe Reader 9.3 for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX, Adobe Acrobat 9.3 for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Reader 8.2 and Acrobat 8.2 for Windows and Macintosh. As described in Security Bulletin APSB10-06, this vulnerability (CVE-2010-0186) could subvert the domain sandbox and make unauthorized cross-domain requests. In addition, a critical vulnerability (CVE-2010-0188) has been identified that could cause the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.
Adobe recommends users of Adobe Reader 9.3 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX update to Adobe Reader 9.3.1. (For Adobe Reader users on Windows and Macintosh who cannot update to Adobe Reader 9.3.1, Adobe has provided the Adobe Reader 8.2.1 update.) Adobe recommends users of Adobe Acrobat 9.3 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh update to Adobe Acrobat 9.3.1. Adobe recommends users of Acrobat 8.2 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh update to Acrobat 8.2.1.
AFFECTED SOFTWARE VERSIONS
Adobe Reader 9.3 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh, and UNIX
Adobe Acrobat 9.3 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I use the Secunia Software Inspectors to find out any security updates that I am missing for programs running under Windows. More often than not it is Adobe products that have new vulnerabilities / fixes.
The Online Software Inspector (OSI) does not install any program on ones computer.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/?task=intro
The Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is more thorough but not so fast. It is free to download and install for private use.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Ive not really got my knickers in a twist over this issue as all adobe products on my machine have now been updated,i think its good they found this issue and fixed it rather promptly,is my way of thinking on this all wrong?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'm with you Steve on this.  Double checked and I'm using version 9.3.1 which appears to be the latest version.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yip artmo thats the right update,you got your flash and that updated aswell i hope?unless you dont use that?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

No don't have flash installed Steve.  Always thought I did have but not on this PC.  Any advantages to it?
dgdclynx
Grafter

BBC iPlayer downloads stopped working till I updated Adobe Flash Player and AIR. Problem appeared at weekend.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Dump Adobe and use Foxit Reader for your pdf files it is Free and small.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

In my personal opinion nah not really artmo,it just clogs up the page and fills your screen with all sorts of beautiful things Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Does any one know if there is a alternative to Adobe Flash player for windos?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

there is no alternative, but microsoft silverlight is a similar technology for developers.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I removed flash and then could not watch Youtube videos so had to reinstall
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Whats your flash pierre-pierre?,it should be 10.0.45.2.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats what I have, the point is you need it to watch youtube videos and BBC news videos which are flash.  the adverts in flash cant get deleted by adblock