cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Reader

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Adobe Reader

I have just tried installing the latest Adobe Reader (Acrobat DC), but stopped it when I found I had to agree to automatic updates. Now I don't know about you but I don't like giving other people carte blanche to what they put on my pc. Trouble is, now I don't have the old Adobe Reader either, because either the installation or the uninstall of Acrobat DC wiped both the old and the new. Therefore, I am looking for either a copy of the older version, or an alternative pdf reader.
Has anyone a suggestion please?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Adobe Reader

Quote from: penneck
Now I don't know about you but I don't like giving other people carte blanche to what they put on my pc.

But the choice may be between giving a reputable company like Adobe carte blanche to install updates as necessary or malware carte blanche to put itself onto your PC by exploiting known weaknesses in older versions of Adobe Reader.  I know which option I prefer. 
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Get it from Adobe at https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/
Just select OS version then language then pick the version for Reader X11
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just don't use it - I use PDF-Xchange Viewer
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I never use it.
I always use one version or the other of Foxit.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have just tried installing OldJim's PDF-Xchange Viewer. I could download it, but couldn't persuade it to install, so I tried georgelnx's link to Adobe, and installed Reader X11. I didn't spot anything that stopped Adobe being able to automatically download updates, so I will have to hope that I haven't lost that control. I seem to remember a few years ago when Adobe started adding things to their downloads for a while before protests persuaded them to stop such practices, but I don't have the most reliable memory (sorry Adobe if I am wrong).
Didn't see billnotben's post until I came back to the forum to do this post
Thanks to all of you for your help
MatrixRob
Grafter

I've not used Adobe reader since around 2005.
Been using Foxit Reader for years without an issue but even that is now getting bloated as it used to be low on system resources unlike the newer versions.
I may have look at PDF-Xchange Viewer, thanks Oldjim
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Mal08
Rising Star

But how do we know that these other PDF programs don't have security issues as well. Granted they may be less likely to be attacked - but how do we know?
nanotm
Pro

@mal08 short answer is you don't,
in all likelihood most vulnerability testers look into the products that have the largest market share either because they stand more chance of getting paid for finding the bugs or because they are looking to actively exploit them, some people will hunt out the smaller market share products and see if they have similar bugs that can be exploited and sometimes even employ social engineering to see the user base expanded to a size where active exploitation is advantageous, as with any software its only as good as the source and its updates /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Foxit reader  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mal08
Rising Star

@nanotm
Yes - I understand that.
Are there any open source PDF readers that can be verified by the knowledgeable user base etc ?
Mal
Quote from: nanotm
@mal08 short answer is you don't,
in all likelihood most vulnerability testers look into the products that have the largest market share either because they stand more chance of getting paid for finding the bugs .............

bales1983
Grafter

I open mine with Firefox browser Smiley