Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Reader 9 DMS integration issue

henderson1977
Grafter

Adobe Reader 9 DMS integration issue

Hi all
We're trying to deploy Adobe Reader 9 to 1800+ users but having trouble with the integration with our Document Management System in that the users have to manually open, close then re-open Reader before integration works.  We'd like to automate this if possible within the existing batch file.  We've tried the following command lines:-
----------------------
REM Launch Adobe Reader 9
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
REM Close Adobe Reader 9
taskkill /F /IM AcroRd32.exe /T
----------------------
Adobe Reader 9 launches ok but will not close, the taskkill process does not appear to run for some reason.
Any ideas why not please?
Thanks
Scott
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable

Re: Adobe Reader 9 DMS integration issue

The problem doesn't relate to the dialog box for a license agreement being open does it?
I've not looked at 9 yet, but 8 required user intervention to accept the EULA before continuing.
I'm also wondering if this is the thing stopping the integration working, as the reader won't do anything until its been acknowledged.
If that is the issue, perhaps there is an option to deploy the app with the EULA already agreed to?
Otherwise, not too sure
henderson1977
Grafter

James - thx for the quick reply.
The EULA is accepted within the MST so this is not the problem.  Here are the full contents of the batch file:-
----------------------
:: Install Adobe Reader 9
msiexec /i \\server\share\AdobeReader9\AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS=\\server\share\AdobeReader9\ar9.mst /qb! /norestart ALLUSERS=1 /l*vx C:\AdobeReader9.log
:: Copy IManAcrobatReader.api to the local machine to re-enable Interwoven-integration
mkdir "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\Interwoven"
xcopy /Q /R /Y \\server\share\AdobeReader9\IManAcrobatReader.api "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\plug_ins\Interwoven"
:: Update NRTDDE.INI to amend path to new Adobe Acrobat executable
xcopy /Q /R /Y \\server\share\AdobeReader9\NRTDDE.INI "C:\Program Files\Interwoven\WorkSite"
:: \\server\share\AdobeReader9\subinacl /subkeyreg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe" /grant=everyone=F
:: Open then close Adobe Reader 9 to register Interwoven-integration
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
taskkill /F /IM AcroRd32.exe /T

----------------------
The script hangs when trying to process the command "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" (above).
Thanks
Scott
zubel
Community Veteran

Try using:
cmd /c "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
henderson1977
Grafter

Barry
Just tried your suggestion... but just as before, Adobe Reader opens and the cursor in the cmd prompt remains flashing as if it has hung and does not return to the next line to wait for the next command... not even CTRL + C breaks it, I have to manually close Adobe Reader or manually kill the task in Task Manager.... which explains why it does not execute the taskkill command...
But it does explain why it hangs during the cmd prompt. 
I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation here.  Any ideas please? 
Cheers
Scott
samuria
Grafter

A few ideas
What does register Interwoven-integration actually do does it change the register or make file changes? You could run manually and test with Reg snapshot from
http://www.filetransit.com/files.php?name=Registry_Snapshot  this would show any changes it may be possible to skip what you are doing and apply the changes some other way.
The problem may be some process not  finishing and the batch file running on before the last task is finished You could do some check on that.
In all these cases I always recommend Autoit3 from http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ Its the tool for the job its FREE creates a exe and loads of support very very easy to use. Be sure to get the full package with GUI tools and editor.
One of the key features  it has which will solve your problem is it can run as  macro so you can open say notepad pass the alt keys to  it to open a file type some text save the file and pass alt X to exit. Using this you could open Acrobat and close it cleanly.see demo @
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/tutorials/winzip/winzip.htm
Could it be hanging because the permissions are wrong on the reg and it trys to write to it running the reg check may show it up? Doesn't it integrate into office and other software like IE/Firefox Adobe is paranoid about installing with a browser open photoshop/flash dreamweaver wont install if you leave a browser open
henderson1977
Grafter

Samuria strikes again!  AutoIT worked a treat - thanks a bunch!
I used the following code:-
--------------------
; Open Adobe Reader 9
Run("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe")
; Close Adobe Reader 9
WinWaitActive("Adobe Reader")
WinClose("Adobe Reader")
--------------------
Then compiled as .exe and added to my script. 
Scott      Smiley
samuria
Grafter

Autoit is really is a great free product and you can do so much with it there are plenty of support forums and if you get the gui designer it makes gui a breeze. For admin work its great as your create a exe and no one can read your code and mess with it.