cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Flash web pages not displayed

bigfishstalker

Adobe Flash web pages not displayed

Could anyone please suggest why my web page that contains an Adobe Flash slideshow will not display online. It can be viewed on all browsers when the files are on a harddrive/cd or usb memory stick. When accessing online I only get a blank white page, or sometimes a loading icon that continuously spins. All the html pages work correctly. It doesn't matter if I start at the homepage or go directly to the page containing the slideshow, the error is the same.
Thanks very much.
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Adobe Flash web pages not displayed

what browser are you using and what operating system?
bigfishstalker

Hi Pierre-pierre, I'm using I.E., Firefox and Opera. They all show the same problem when accessing the remote pages. But all of them display the pages properly when those pages are on a local drive.
samuria
Grafter

Can you post the website so the doctor can see the patient? What version of flash have you complied it to?
How did you insert it into your page by hand or let the web software do it and what software have you used for your site?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Sounds like it's not using a relative path to point to the files on line e.g. it's pointing to \myfiles\bob.swf instead of http://mysite/bob.swf
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bigfishstalker

Hi All, Thanks for your input.
I wrote my site with Notepad. I'm using XP Pro SP3, Internet Explorer/Firefox3/Opera and also Mac OSX with Safari.
The gallery page that does not work was compiled by Adobe Lightroom 2.2. The files are all in a sub folder to my main page, with my Gallery link pointing to them. I cannot tell which version of Flash is used as it is embedded in Lightroom. I have tried moving all of the relevant files up to the main directory and changing the paths but it didn't work. I think Adiewoo may have the answer - I've looked at the html and xml files relevant to the pages involved and they do have "/bin/images/large/oo1.jpg" rather than "www.website.co.uk/bin/images etc." I will try and change all the routes and see what happens.
Have a look here if you wish: http://www.only-for-you.co.uk and then click on "Gallery".
I know it is the flash element causing the problem, because I used the same images in an html table layout and it all worked fine.
samuria
Grafter

You dont appear to have uploaded the javascript for the page which is why I asked what version you had complied it to as above version 5 it creates a javascript resource file which should be http://homepages.force9.net/photoguys/ofy/resources/javascript/AC_RunActiveContent.js it needs to be in the directories as in the url and watch out for the file name as its part upper case and must be the same.
If I try and load the file it says it cant be found. Your flash is complied to version 8.
Upload your AC_RunActiveContent.js file to http://homepages.force9.net/photoguys/ofy/resources/javascript and it should work ok.
Why not use the Plusnets contact form on the contact page instead of mailto
Interested
Grafter

I'm not the most technical person by far but I had this problem on Sunday. Directly after I had just updated Adobe Flash.  This is how I solved it:
I ended up uninstalling adobe flash from control panel .....uninstall programmes.
Searching for Adobe download via a search engine.
Followed on screen directions & hey presto! it worked.
HTH
bigfishstalker

Smiley  Sorted!! Thank you all very much. The page works now. I found that the problem was caused by my ftp program. It was converting all the file names to lowercase when I uploaded them. I hadn't noticed it because I normally write all my files with lowercase names anyway. There were a couple of the files that were produced by Lightroom with a mix of upper and lowercase. Yes, Samuria, the AC_RunActiveContent.js was one of the affected labels even though all files were in the right place.
Just for reference, Adiewoo, the files should have a path of "\myfiles\bob.swf" apparently.
Thanks again for your help, appreciate it. Maybe one day I might be able to help solve someone else's problem.
I'm now going to have a look at Plusnet' Contact form, Samuria, but I'm a Force9 account so I may have to write my own!
samuria
Grafter

As far as I am aware the form work for force9 as well you sometimes have to raise a ticket if it hasnt added your site to the list of those allowed. On your site I would loose the frames as that is now old hat and very rarely used now. The main reason being if its picked up via a search engine that may end up at a page with no menu so may be interested but unable to get to the contact page.
If you want an example of the contact for see http://www.crewetown.co.uk/sk8/cont.htm feel free to copy the code you just change the email address,message  and username
bigfishstalker

Thank You for the info, Samuria. I'll have to start re-writing now!  Smiley