Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting MTU on 3com wireless router

ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Adjusting MTU on 3com wireless router

Does anyone know how one adjusts the MTU on a 3com wireless router? The model I have is 3CRWDR101A-75 but presumably they are similar in this respect.    I copied, from the web, some advice on adjusting settings to solve connectivity problems, and on the router setup pages have lowered the beacon interval, fragmentation interval, and RTS threshold (not that I know what these terms mean!) but cannot find any reference to the MTU (Manual Transmission Unit, which, it is suggested should be reduced from 1500 to 1492 or less) on the same pages. Any ideas please?
3 REPLIES 3
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Adjusting MTU on 3com wireless router

I downloaded:
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
and adjusted mine from there and it worked well.  I believe I'm right in saying it doesn't work for Vista.
I hope he won't mind me saying but I got great help on this from Spraxyt on the forum and maybe he will read this and help you also.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The crucial thing is that the MTU on the router is the same or larger than it is on the PC. When tweaking the MTU you can just do that on the PC. Only if the router MTU is smaller than the PC setting will it give you problems.
Edit: I always recommend setting the router to the maximum (1500) and forgetting it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ajax
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes, thank you. I now realise it's something you change (or leave alone) on the computer - in my case in System Preferences on a Mac. There is apparently no facility to amend it on my router. On the Mac changing it is accompanied by a warning of potential problems if you alter it from 1500. I'll try 1492 and see if the sky falls in. . . .