Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Reverse DNS Record Query

FIXED
Farrinaf
Grafter

Additional Reverse DNS Record Query

Hello

I already have a custom reverse DNS configured on my account pointing to a domain that I own.

I wish to undertake some testing of a new mail server using an additional domain name that I own using the same external IP address, but am conscious that in attempting to send any mail, without a validating reverse DNS mail is likely to be rejected by other mail servers.

Is it possible for an additional record to be configured by PlusNet so that on looking up my static IP address it returns 2 Domain names?

For the record the second domain is identical to the first but co.uk rather than com (have already setup the forward address record as mail.domain name.co.uk

Cheers

Alan

4 REPLIES 4
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Additional Reverse DNS Record Query

There's a bit of chat online about this..

- yes, it is technically allowed by the RFC

- "normally" only one PTR record is used

- be aware that a normal UDP-based DNS request is limited to only 512 characters (in ecess of that, a flag gets set, and the client *should* then make a TCP request

- some clients don't like multiple PTR records

- some clients will randomly choose one of the PTR entries

Having said all that, whether PlusNet's setup allows more than one reverse DNS PTR record is another matter!!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@paul_blitz wrote:

Having said all that, whether PlusNet's setup allows more than one reverse DNS PTR record is another matter!!

I suspect it's technically possible, but it would be a bit of a hack and therefore not something we'd be comfortable doing. Sorry.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Farrinaf
Grafter

Okay - Thanks for letting me know Bob
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @bobpullen as per message #3

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still