Did you mean: 

Additional Fibre Port

FIXED
spotless
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Additional Fibre Port

Hi

I currently have a Plusnet account with one incoming Fibre port to which we connect our router.  My question is:

Q)  Can Plusnet provide me with an additional port on another floor of my home, so that I can choose to have my router positioned upstairs or downstairs as is most convenient at the time?

The reason for this is so that it's possible for one person to connect via ethernet cable to the router, rather than one person connecting wirelessly to the router, while someone else has to sit just one metre away from the router, getting bathed in the wireless radiation, for health reasons.

Just to clarify:

1)  I don't want an additional phone line, nor an additional internet account, if that makes sense.  Just a choice as to where to position my router. 

2)  If you adamantly believe that wi-fi radiation doesn't do anyone any harm then you're welcome to your belief.  With respect, and not meaning to seem rude, I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about it here.

Smiley

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Additional Fibre Port

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You can run an ethernet cable from the router to another room and have a switch or you can use power lines.

I suppose it may be possible to pay BT to move your phone entry point, but it won't be cheap.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
spotless
Hooked

Thanks dvorak. 

How do you go about using power lines?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@spotless You simply plug one into a mains socket near the router and another next to the PC you wat to connect to, the plug an ethernet cable into each and to the router and PC. There are lots on eBay, or your favourite on line auction site.

You can read  more about them on line including this Tech Adviser review.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You'll be "bathed in" an unknown amount of radio frequency leakage from the unshielded power cables.

Probably less than wifi - pick your rf frequency.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@spotless

Without getting into the debate about wifi you could do the following:

1. Run a Cat 5e Ethernet cable between the two locations,

2. Leave the router next to the master socket connected to the Ethernet cable.

3. Buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and connect it to the other end of the Ethernet cable.

4. Log into the device that you are not using and switch off the Wifi.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @spotless, while I don't believe we can provide an extension socket for you to have the choice of the current location or where the extension runs to, the advice provided from other community members so far should help you achieve what you're after.

In regards to a master socket relocation to move the socket from it's current location to the location of your choice, this is something we can arrange with Openreach, however we would pass on the whole charge incurred from our suppliers, which unfortunately is not cheap (as @dvorak has said) at £160.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
spotless
Hooked

Thanks for the link Mustrum.  Sounds like a good option that (I presume) doesn't do anything to increase the amount of RF.  I'll check out the reviews and post back here tommorrow.

spotless
Hooked

Ah, just occurred to me; do the 2 power sockets need to be on the same circuit from the mains board?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @spotless,

As far as I am aware as long as they are on the same electrical circuit, there shouldn't be an issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
spotless
Hooked

Fix

My upstairs and downstairs are on separate circuits, which rules out that option. 

Thanks to everyone for your input.

quelquod
Pro

Wink
@spotless wrote:

My upstairs and downstairs are on separate circuits, which rules out that option. 

You’d probably be OK. I have powerline adapters on 3 different circuits and they all communicate just fine. The connection between the different circuits at the consumer unit allows the signals to distribute OK although I expect they attenuate a bit (haven’t measured). Really little different to a large single circuit.

@VileReynard wrote:

You'll be "bathed in" an unknown amount of radio frequency leakage from the unshielded power cables.

Probably less than wifi - pick your rf frequency.

Not much RF leakage really because for the most part the live and neutral run adjacent and the fields essentially cancel. (Radio Amateurs still get upset of course (I’m one) but their equipment is a good deal more sensitive than most other stuff (or our bodies Wink ). I get negligible pickup from my own powerline stuff.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you ran a piece of ethernet cable, you'd get no leakage and it would be much cheaper.

Powerline adaptors are sometimes quite decent - but they sometimes behave rather poorly.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@spotless

Mine are on two different rings, upper and lower floors, and they work.

In France where domestic circuits are radial they are sold and work.

As another member has stated, a direct cat6 cable is a better option, or relocate the phone extension

with approved vdsl compatible cable