Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an SD Card to my laptop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Adding an SD Card to my laptop

First - why

I want to move the various personal data (Firefox Profile and Email records as well as private documents for a start) off the SSD hard drive so that if it ever fails I can send it for repair or junk it without worry about someone accessing them (I can also transfer it to another device if needed)

Now I accept it will be a bit slower but not to a noticeable extent in practice so the question is what speed as either 16GB or 32GB will be more than adequate

The laptop spec only says that it supports SD/SDHC/SDXC so I have no idea what speed it supports and whether that is entirely card dependent

Although the laptop takes an SD Card I intend to get a micros SD card with adapter (although I already have an adapter so would have a spare)  so that the card can be used elsewhere and easily used on another device or read in my microSD card reader

22 REPLIES 22
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Adding an SD Card to my laptop

@Oldjim I can't answer your query as to card speeds &c, although I would guess any modern card would be fast enough.

Why not just connect an external HD and transfer the data to that?- I assume you have one? Smiley

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Jim,

There should be a logo on the card with a number and a circle, which is the category.
If modern it should be a category 10 I believe. That's what you want.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because I wanted it permanently connected and there is an SD slot so nothing sticking out when the laptop is being moved around

We are not talking about a backup system where I would use the external hard drive but a permanent storage device used instead of the SSD Drive for critical information

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Alex I understand that but the question is what speed will the internal card reader handle

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Oldjim wrote:

Because I wanted it permanently connected and there is an SD slot so nothing sticking out when the laptop is being moved around

We are not talking about a backup system where I would use the external hard drive but a permanent storage device used instead of the SSD Drive for critical information

Got you, Jim. Makes sense now.

John
Alex
Community Veteran

Ok I understand, I thought your question was based on the card not the reader.

Maybe someone who has a spare 10 card can try copying a few GB's onto it and give you an approx time. Sounds like your laptop is recent.

Would try myself, but I can't find a card at the moment.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Alex

Assuming they have the same card reader as Jim.  Roll_eyes

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes I understand that, and unless you have the same make/model of laptop you just don't know.

The fact it supports HDXC makes me think it is recent. The reason? I got a USB card reader from Argos, not that long ago which doesn't support HDXC. Wondered why it wouldn't read my 128Gb card from my SLR, but the SLR did.

I raised a question on here and someone said this. Thankfully the card wasn't corrupt or anything, and I pulled the photos off via USB. It wasn't funny though. Windows would give a pop up dialog saying something like "This card is not formatted, would you like to format it now?". There is me thinking "No thank you windows I want to keep my photos". Roll_eyes

Bad though as you assume a recent bit of technology would support everything, but in my experience it is not always the case.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Marketing speeds for cat 10 - https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/32gb-class-10-sdhc-memory-card-a52kk

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

not up to date

as an example from this link https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/memory-cards/microsd-sdhc-sdxc

Class 10, UHS-I Class 3 (U3), 90MB/s Read, 45MB/s Write, so it all depends on the sub class and whether that is reader dependent

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The speed class rating gives a minimum speed, and higher maximum possible speeds are also advertised for the card.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1996/~/difference-between-speed-class%2C-uhs-speed-cl...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Going by what you are planning to use it for I wouldn't worry about the speed, just get one that satisfies your storage requirements.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@ejs thanks for the link

that leads me to believe the reader will support Class 3 as it supports SDXC and so that is probably what I will go for which is definitely 30MB/s or better as the cost difference is only a few pounds

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Just a warning to be careful where you buy your SD card from. There are a lot of fakes on eBay and Amazon marketplace.
They either aren't the speed they are supposed to be or have been set to a bigger size than the chip actually is.