Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding SSD to Laptop

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Adding SSD to Laptop

Yes you can get M2 PCIe SSD with the higher speeds but they are very expensive and really are, in my opinion, not worth it for a normal user
Mav
Fixes: 515

After chatting it over we've decided that the laptop will be fast enough without adding the expense of an SSD just for quicker start up plus the hassle of changing the OS.
Again, thanks for all the advice and I've got more knowledge for the future Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's my job to help with and fix computers from all-comers so I see quite a range.  You might think one with a Core i7 processor would necessarily be really fast but that's certainly not  the case when it comes to boot time.  One earlier this week was very sluggish.  On the other hand, a brand new computer with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive but only a pentium processor decided it was going to install a further 42 updates during a restart yesterday and that took well over an hour - presumably due to lack of processor thinking power.  But the boot time was faster than the Core i7 I am thinking of.
So you may think you are buying a fast computer but speed depends on context.  I have fitted and retro-fitted enough SSD drives to know for certain that the impact on boot-up time is very noticeable indeed.   
Mav

I agree with you, RR.
My laptop with i3 2330 2.2Ghz dual core CPU, 4GB RAM and standard HDD is ready to use from a cold boot in about 40 seconds.
My desktop with AMD FX6100 3.3Ghz 6 core CPU, 16GB RAM and OS on SSD takes more than 2 mins. But it has upto 12 external HDDs connected. Turn all those off and the bootup is a fraction of that.
Back to the OP and the laptop arrived this morning but from ebuyer. I cancelled the order with Mesh as it was promised by Thursday/today at the latest. When I rang yesterday I was told it was out of stock and would be available at the end of the month.
Once SWMBO is up and ready to unbox I'll report back.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Mav
But it has upto 12 external HDDs connected.

Wow!  Perhaps this only apples to some motherboards and/or PSUs but my machine becomes increasingly prone to crash if I add  HDDs.  The symptom is horizontal lines on the display and it can happen during the latter stages of POST as well as when running Windows.  Uprating the PSU alleviated the problem but it still happens occasionally when I add even a third HDD.     
Mav

I rarely have all the drives on at the same time, currently 6 externals are connected plus 6 internal.
I do find that there are occasional issues with one of the caddies where the two drives inserted don't show until I power it off/on again. Then after a while they disappear again.
I have a 750 Watt PSU but the caddies have their own power supply.

Mav

SWMBO has been playing with her new laptop over the weekend and we're both extremely impressed with it. The build quality is excellent and it's very fast and quiet. The sound from the inbuilt speaker is impressive, very loud and plenty of base if needed. The display is almost 180o and very vivid with several presets depending on usage. The backlit keyboard has a light but firm touch but the lettering is a little weird with all as capitals except the 'n' for some reason.
She's getting to grips with W8.1 but, like me, isn't a fan. Sorry far very satisfied.

sjptd
Grafter

Glad the machine is living up to hopes.
She's getting to grips with W8.1  There are a few things you can do to make it behave sensibly.  You probably know already, but just in case ...  Adding Classic Start Menu and removing the lock screen is a good start.  By the time you have set a few file associations Windows 8.1 can behave just like an improved version of Windows 7, with only very occasional accidents causing a visit to the metro screen.
Mav

Thanks, sjptd. Just had a look at two Classic Start 8 and Classic Shell. They both seem to do a similar job. I'll pass this on the SWMBO. She was bemoaning the lack of a Restart button.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I presume this will be offered an update to Windows 10 soon, that might be the best 'cure' for Windows 8.1
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I should wait for Windows 10.1 - they had to scrap Windows 8.0.  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not really foxy, W10 is probably really W8.2 anyway.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the same argument could be made for every OS since win95, not one of them has functioned on multiple hardware sets from the start without problems that were fixed with the first service pack, the only change with w8 was they decided to change the numbering system from w8sp1 to 8.1 since it was easier and more in common with other OS's out there/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

How else are you going to get millions of people to test a new product for you and pay for the privilege Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

Quote from: Mav
Thanks, sjptd. Just had a look at two Classic Start 8 and Classic Shell.
SWMBO has installed Classic Shell along with Aero Glass for W8 and now has her desktop looking much like W7... Except the window's corners are square and not rounded - some people are never satisfied Roll_eyes Wink